Author Topic: Painting Fabric Lacing?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Mark

Painting Fabric Lacing?
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Not really sure what to call it, but I'm trying to finish the cockpit on my WNW Fokker D.VII F and need to paint or otherwise treat the lacing used to attach the fabric to the metal frame like behind the seat. Any suggestions besides a REALLY fine brush and steady hands? I was thinking maybe a fine Magic Marker pen or some such. Thanks!

Mark

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Painting Fabric Lacing?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
I have only ever used a fine pointed paint brush for doing this type of work but I see no reason why a marker would not work, but it would have to be a very fine tip.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »
Or you could dry brush/rub the raised stitching with the edge of a coloured pencil?  Not perfect as you don't colour the depth of the stitching, but you would get a contrast colour on the raised profile surface?

Offline mc65

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »
any image of the part?

knowning the wnw's quality, I suppose it's well reproduced, so I suggest some drybrushing with acrilic light sand color, and then a selective dark wash with oils.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 01:32:20 AM »
Mark, I have tried something that looks not too bad.  If you score the plastic
around the edge approximately lacing spacing and length (I did it on a diagonal),
then give it a black or dark brown wash, it ends up giving a sense of having
lacing around the screen...as long as you don't look too closely. ;) ;D
  Food for thought.   Bon Appetit! ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:41:51 AM by Ernie Parsons »
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Mark

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I settled on using a micro marker (very fine point) and, theoretically, it should've worked fine, although I fear I've made a hash of the job. I'll post photos in my build log when I'm further along on the cockpit construction. I'm having a blast building my D.VII, am learning a lot, but my end product is far from passable, in my estimation. What a learning experience  :)

Mark

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »
what i like to do is detail paint the lacing then use a dark brown wash to define the borders of the stitching then i go back and lightly dry brush with a buff color and it makes it pop. oh yeah before i did the wash i put a dot of bronze metallic paint right at the grommet. then i put some of the lovely aviattic upper lozenge on the fabric areas which were painted cream color. the lozenge is so translucent even though i ended up covering the grommets the bronze paint still peeks thru. i am very happy with the result of these techniques which i have refined over the years to sim all the various stitching involved with ww1 craft. ww1 aero truly is a category all its own. someone could be top modeller for ww2 or jets and they are going to hit a learning curve wall when they try to do a biplane. each build you learn more.