Author Topic: Size & type of "monofiliment" fishing line for rigging??  (Read 1193 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
Size & type of "monofiliment" fishing line for rigging??
« on: December 09, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »
I am rounding up all my "stuff" in preparation to start on my "WnW" builds when they get here :), and I'm curious what size of fishing line to get for rigging?
I'm looking at the "Maxima Chameleon" brand here in the States, and the " 8 lb. test " is .010 inch, or 0.25 mm.
How much up or down should I go from there for 1/32 rigging?

Thanks.............Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Size & type of "monofiliment" fishing line for rigging??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:45 AM »
Jim,
   I'd recommend a range from .008" absolute biggest (I rarely use it anymore and prefer .005" as the "top" end) down to some of the lighter stuff down at .004" (2.4 lb test Dai-Riki. You can get the Dai-Riki Products at Bass Pro Shop or Cabellas in the Fly Fishing Supplies; I believe their main use is in fly Tying. Remember, the heavier you choose the more tension is required to get the line tight, and often the components won't take the tension. Also, if you are thinking of using Brass tubing for turn buckles .005" is about the max you can go with .5mm tube.
   Others will have their own preferences however if I had to use just one it would be .005" / 0.13mm which is 2 pound test normally.
   Hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:37:37 AM »
For years I have been using Maxima Chameleon 2lbs 0.12mm monofilament for my rigging. It is a very strong line, extremely flexible, CA adheres well and it doubles through the turnbuckles quite easily, the brownish colour is very good as is but I always paint my rigging with Mr Metal Color Stainless. This is my preferred choice of fishing line for rigging in 1:32 scale.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:10:58 AM »
For years I have been using Maxima Chameleon 2lbs 0.12mm monofilament for my rigging. It is a very strong line, extremely flexible, CA adheres well and it doubles through the turnbuckles quite easily, the brownish colour is very good as is but I always paint my rigging with Mr Metal Color Stainless. This is my preferred choice of fishing line for rigging in 1:32 scale.

Des.

+1

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »

Des.

Thanks for all the advice guys...........ordered some today.
Jim J. - "olfogey"

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
takes note too. Always was too embarrassed to go into the tackle shop asking daft questions ;D
Never too old to learn sumfink noo