Author Topic: 1/48 Blue Max/Eduard Sopwith Camel "Comic" Nightfighter  (Read 14359 times)

Offline Rob Hart

Re: 1/48 Blue Max/Eduard Sopwith Camel "Comic" Nightfighter
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed watching this build come together and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model. I've heard horror stories about the Eduard Camel, but this one didn't seem to give you much of a problem. Excellent work.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2014, 12:47:06 AM »
Hello Bud:

Excellent work to date.  I did see the dual flying wires.  Looking forwad to see how you do the lights and seeing it wrapped up.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2014, 02:21:55 AM »
Beautiful work Amigo!! Looking forward to the final steps!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2014, 03:50:50 AM »
Thanks, lads!
Rob, the entire fuselage is Blue Max, not Eduard, so it presented it's own unique set of obstacles.  The fuselage to wing join was less than perfect, but that's an Eduard design issue.  I had to make new struts since the Eduard kit struts didn't sit quite right with the higher fuselage front decking of the Comic.  In spite of the minor issues, it's a fun build and I highly recommend this conversion kit.
Cheers,
Bud 
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2014, 04:00:37 AM »
Nice looking Camel Bud, love the colour, it's amazing that a lot of kits don't include the teardrop piece even in 1/32 scale.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
The Camel is looking fabulous, Bud.  The rigging, including the dual flying wires ;)
looks perfect.  Just a super job, especially in 1/48th.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2014, 04:17:01 AM »
Thanks, Pete and Ernie!

The Lewis guns and the Foster mounts provided by Blue Max, although beautifully cast, are just a bit too chunky for my liking so I'm replacing the mounts with spares from Roden's SE kits and the guns with the lovely Gas Patch items.

The windscreen frame is a bit weak, as well, so I added some adjustment wing nuts.

Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:27:30 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2014, 04:23:46 AM »
ooh ooh ooh i like

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2014, 04:26:57 AM »
Thanks, Bo!  Nothing like the enhancements you're doing, but every little bit helps, no?
She's finally finished.

More photos in the completed section.  Thanks for your support, my friends!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2014, 04:41:15 AM »
Hello Bud,

This was a great build all the way! I like your final replacements. The color of the prop is marvellous. A gorgeous model Bud. I will jump over to the completed models now. Many congratulations. You did a great job my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2014, 05:16:59 AM »
Thank you, Patrick!  So pleased that you like it!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:17 AM »
She looks great Bud!  Another stunning model of an interesting aeroplane for your shelf. ;D. Outstanding work my friend!

Regards,

Bob

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2014, 05:42:11 AM »
Thanks, Bob!  So, will you be doing another Academy kit as a Comic?  With your scratch building skills, it'll be an easy conversion.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2014, 06:51:39 AM »
Now that's an interesting idea Bud!  I just happen to have one more Academy Camel kit in the stash . . . hmmmm. ;D  I'll have to explore this idea after the Tabloid is done. ;)  I really do like the looks of the Comic. 

BTW, your Holt flares are very well-excuted.  Did they come with the kit or did you scratch them (I can't remember from the build log, and if I change pages to check I'll have to type all of this again!)?  Very well done my friend!

Cheers,

Bob 

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
The conversion kit comes with pair of flare brackets, but like the guns, they're a bit chunky and lack detail.  Mine were completely scratched.  Come to think of it, I don't think I mentioned that in the build log.  Oops.
Cheers,
Bud