Author Topic: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers  (Read 18597 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/32 Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel F.1, Belgian ace Jan Olislagers
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:23 AM »
Actually Patrick, this is all very helpful!  ;)  It appears that the brighter lemon yellow may be okay,  but the shades do appear to vary a little in some of the images, so I'll probably go with something in between.  Thanks!

Regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »
A brief update.  Here is a graphic illustration of the color issue:

To paint the wing roundels I will use a shade of yellow somewhere in between the darker shade on the rudder and the lighter shade on the decals and the images Patrick provided.  The first step is cutting the outside mask (full size of roundel) from two overlapped strips of blue painters tape.  I use an X-acto circle cutter, which is essentially a compass with an exacto blade rather than pencil lead.  I approach this task with some apprehension, as I've had trouble getting clean circles in the past. 

I decided to use a stiffer cutting board to prevent the blade from biting into the backboard too much and being pulled off line, and to go very gently.  In past efforts I have pushed too hard I think, which can pull/push the blade off the true circular path.  So far, so good:

It worked!  Voila!  The mask applied to the top wing:

Moving the cutter very slowly and with only light pressure is the key.  You can actually hear the tape being cut.  When you make a second traverse of the circle you will hear nothing except for the few places that may not have been cut through on the first pass.  Yay!  I finally know how to do this with confidence! ;D

Here is the top wing with the backing coat of white applied to the masked roundels.  This is to help the yellow cover better.  Experience from model railroading days dictates white primer as a base for yellow, as light gray tends to give a greenish tint to the yellow applied over top.

Since I took these pix, I have applied the yellow and cut the remaining masks.  I will mask up and paint the red tonight.  More pix later in the weekend.  This stuff is kinda fun!  I love it when things work.  ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
Hi Bob,

Awfully well done! The rudder certainly looks the true color and the roundles also. A very instructive log Bob! The best of luck.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 02:10:25 AM »
Nice job Bob. I've always wanted to try cutting circular masks myself so your tutorial is just what the doctor ordered. I picked up an Olfa circle cutter recently for that very reason. It's that light touch that usually causes me grief as evidently there's a short circuit between my brain and hands.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »
Thanks Patrick!

Chris, I hear you.  That has been my problem in the past with cutting circular masks.  It really takes a conscious and intentional effort not to push the cutter too hard and fast.  The brain and hand were not coordinating well in past efforts.  Trying something different actually worked this time!  ;)  I think the stiffer cutting board helped as well.  My usual workbench pad is one of those green ones from the art/craft chain stores.  It is a little softer than the small one I used for this, and that softness tends to allow the blade to bite deeper and get hung up on the board, causing the legs of the compass to deflect a bit and go off track.  It's a fine line--you need the cutting board to be pliable enough for the point of the compass to penetrate sufficiently to anchor the cutter for a true circle blade path, but it needs to be firm enough that the cutting blade will not penetrate the board too deeply.  I think this is where the gentle movement of the cutting blade around the path is critical.  Push down firmy on the point leg, but move the blade leg forward gently.  It takes a little practice.  Fortunately, masking tape is relatively cheap.  ;) 

Apparently, I AM trainable!  ::)

I really am tickled to have finally figured this out, as it will be very helpful in painting roundels for all of those schemes for which the proper size (or any!) decals are just not available.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2013, 06:44:07 AM »
Nice work on the masks, Bob.  ;)
Looking forward to seeing the roundels complete.

Cheers,
VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2013, 06:56:03 AM »
Very nice recovery Bob and an excellent solution to your issues, the results are superb, looking forward to seeing these decals fixed to the wings.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 07:57:18 AM »
Super job on the roundels, Bob.  I think you have the colours nailed.  I really
appreciate your explanation about using the circle cutter.  I may get this yet! ;)
Looking forward to your next updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
Great job with the cutter and masks! Like the others you are giving me hope that I may be able to use mine someday!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has struggled with the circle cutter. ;)  Once mastered, it's pretty easy. 

Here are the masking, painting and demasking stages:

Above shows the yellow masked with a "donut" of tape, with the center covered by a patch circle, which will be removed after the red is applied to allow the center dot to be painted black.  This shot shows the center dot mask exposed:

To protect the red outer ring, I prepared a paper mask secured over the center mask:

The black applied:

The donut mask removed and sitting to one side:

. . . and the final result:

I'm really pleased with how these came out. ;D  Now, on to clearcoating and post-shading!

Cheers,

Bob

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
Hello Bob,

This is awfully nice. You really have the colors right. Magnificent job. Real craftmanship. Congratulations!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
Much more rewarding than placing decals - Well done!

Roundel masks added to my product line come 2014? I think so.  8)

;)
VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
Excellent job on the roundels, Bob.  Painted on markings always win, in
my book.  Excellent build, my friend.  I look forward to more updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline aviator01

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 07:10:03 AM »
Brilliant paint job Bob, this looks ways better than decals. Your extra work really turned out great. Keep on!

greetings ro
On the bench: 1/48 Revell (Eduard) Bristol F.2B Fighter

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2013, 07:30:08 AM »
Beautiful job with your painted roundels Bob, they certainly look better than any decals, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com