Author Topic: Brass axle for "WnW" Junkers J1 (??)  (Read 1041 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
Brass axle for "WnW" Junkers J1 (??)
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »
I am eagerly awaiting my package from "WnW", and in the meantime, have been doing a lot of reading..............one of the things I came across brought up questions?

Seems that some have been replacing the axle & some support struts(?) on the landing gear of the "WnW" Junkers J1 due to the weight of the model with brass.
What I couldn't find were ANY details as to how to accomplish this :(
I would sure appreciate some guidance and a "how-to" on this......................Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Brass axle for "WnW" Junkers J1 (??)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »
I have heard of a few guys changing their Junkers axle to a brass tube which does have merit. I built the WnW Junkers J.1 when it was first released a few years ago and built the model using the kit supplied axle, to date I have not had an issue with the axle breaking or bending, I just now checked the model and the axle is still nice and straight. So, replacing the plastic axle with brass tube might be adding a bit of security but I feel that it is unnecessary, again, the choice is yours.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
I have heard of a few guys changing their Junkers axle to a brass tube which does have merit. I built the WnW Junkers J.1 when it was first released a few years ago and built the model using the kit supplied axle, to date I have not had an issue with the axle breaking or bending, I just now checked the model and the axle is still nice and straight. So, replacing the plastic axle with brass tube might be adding a bit of security but I feel that it is unnecessary, again, the choice is yours.

Des.

I'll take that as good advice....................
Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
There are the odd one or two who replace all their axles with brass. I'd imagine WNW knew that it should be strong enough... Not too many bumpy landings bit  it wouldn't be too difficult to replace the kit axle part with brass tube and scratch the fairing if you wanted.

Of course you could drill out and insert brass rod or pins into the ends of the axles but that would initially weaken the integrity of the plastic so it's robbing Peter to pay Paul but an option.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
If you build your Junkers as per the instructions Jim I can't see you having any issues with the undercarriage, even though it is a heavy model the undercarriage has been engineered to take the weight.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com