Author Topic: "Instant Iron - Instant Rust"...................  (Read 1531 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
"Instant Iron - Instant Rust"...................
« on: November 28, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
This product looked interesting to me, as "black iron" is something I have always had a tough time replicating. Haven't tried it.......yet! But I definitely plan to.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/instant-iron-and-instant-rust/#photos

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: "Instant Iron - Instant Rust"...................
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »
It does look interesting, Jim.  I've not heard of that product. Let us know what you think
when you try it.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Russell

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
I've not tried it but for UK based people something similar is available here:

http://www.greatart.co.uk/Paints/Other-painting-techniques/Restoration-and-vintage-finishing/Modern-Options-Instant-Rust-Set.html

Regards
Russell

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
they sell that product in craft stores in the u.s. i personally have been working on a coating for exhausts. i came up with a solution which i use graphite powder and other pigments mixed with a certain solvent. it works great. you dab it on and it self levels then you lightly buff it with a soft paint brush. the more you buff the more metallic/steel finish shows thru allowing you to leave rustly residue where you want it. i would try to market it but i fear i wouldnt be able to ship the solvent legally, especially abroad.

Offline petero

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
I have used this to paint tank exhaust stacks, and it's very convincing.  However, it's rather thick, being ground iron particles.  You should probably try it on some scrap first to see whether you like the effect or not.

Peter

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »
I have used this to paint tank exhaust stacks, and it's very convincing.  However, it's rather thick, being ground iron particles.  You should probably try it on some scrap first to see whether you like the effect or not.

Peter

I had heard that it was acrylic based........anyone have an idea if it could be thinned(??)
The person that recommended it to me saw it used in conjunction with model RR'ing, and there, several light coats were used, which leads me to believe it could be thinned.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline petero

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Yes, it is acrylic.  I use plain tap water to thin it slightly.  Since it's made up of iron particles, I'm not sure how much it could be thinned without spoiling the effect... You'd just have to use trial and error.

Incidentally, each bottle weighs much more than I expected, so it must really be iron  :)

Peter