Author Topic: Need help with "Future" (??)  (Read 844 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
Need help with "Future" (??)
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
I am a novice modeler, and have read many posts about the use of "Future" being applied before decals.

I really need some in-depth advise about the use of this, as I have never used it before...........

My main questions..........
1) Spraying and thinning for airbrush use
2) Can it be over-coated? (will "dullcote" stick?, for instance)
3) Anything I'm not thinking of, or don't know enough to ask :)

Thanks...........Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Need help with "Future" (??)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
Hi Jim, there is a great article here on the use of Future /Klear

It's extremely forgiving stuff, which is probably why it is so popular. Brushed on, it is self-leveling, and it is quite easy to spray too (but do experiment with test pieces to get a feel for how it handles out of your airbrush). Cleanup is with Windex or similar ammonia based window cleaner (but oddly for me anyway the brand name stuff really does work better)

It sets up pretty quickly, but takes more than a day to cure. Before it is fully cured, it has a sort of gummy quality if you try to sand it or scribe it or whatever.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it does perceptibly darken the colors below it, so plan accordingly (and test!)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
Lol, I didn't answer your specific questions.

Thinning: I spray it direct as it comes out of the bottle. Use pressure and distance to control application.  Too far and it will dry before it hits, resulting in matte or semi matte finish (sometimes desirable!). For a nice gloss finish you want to watch that the beads are just coalescing as you spray; wetter than that and you will get pools. You can wick up pools with a piece of torn paper towel if you catch it in time and the stuff will pretty much heal itself.

Top coating: no problem, just about anything you might use will stick to it. The final product is a form of acrylic, very compatible with other finishes.

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
Thanks for the tips...........I had heard of this stuff off & on, but never tried it.
Jim J. -- "olfogey"