Author Topic: Grass mats  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Grass mats
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
The grass mats which are currently available are really good, especially the Polak mats, but, with the increasing size of a lot of the 1:32 scale models now on the market is there a larger good quality realistic grass mat available. I think that a mat around 500mm x 500mm would be an excellent size to cater for the large two seater models plus a few accessories around the aircraft, vehicles, people, benches etc.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IvotB

Re: Grass mats
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »
Des,

Grass mats may be the fastest and easiest way to make a base for an excellent ww1 model. But they might deserve a state of the art piece of grass, as most of the models shown here are state of the art as well.

Just a suggestion: there are other techniques to produce more convincing grass, especially in 1:32. I used from a friend an upgraded Noch Grassmaster, which makes green fibres in different lengths and color static, using high voltage and sprinkle it over an area with thinned white glue. That's how I made this piece of grass.

It might be even less expensive than the Polak mats especially if you don't buy the Noch Grassmaster, but build your own. We have been quite successfull in changing some fly catchers which are for sale for just a few euro's. You might know these. They look like a small tennis racket where flies are caught and electrocuted. If you enlarge the voltage with a diode cascade, and replace the tennis racket with a tea strainer (?), it does the trick. Sounds dangerous, but it isn't. The voltage might be high, but because the power comes from a small battery the maximum amps are very low. Still I would only recommend it to a skilled modeller.

Other convincing methods apply material from Silhouette, by making a base from roofmate and pushing pieces of this material with pliers into it. One of my modelrailroading friends made this using these techniques.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:22:25 PM by IvotB »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »
Great suggestion, Ivo. The Noch Grassmaster concept is news to me. Your base certainly looks terrific to my eyes. The DYI approach sounds intriguing although I for one would need a little help building a diode cascade...

The other thing I was thinking was that it might be possible to convincingly tile several Polak mats if the seams were irregular...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
Thanks Ivo for your suggestions. I have seen the process they use for the static grass and it looks very interesting, the results are very realistic. Your friend has a fantastic railroad layout with excellent scenery. One question though Ivo, what is Roofmate?

Bo - the idea to joining a few Polak mats has crossed my mind, I think this might be the way to go initially, getting a convincing join would be the main issue but with the longer grass fibres it may work.

Des.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
Plans for a home made static grass applicator here

Offline IvotB

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:07:27 AM »
Des, roofmate is a blueish foam board, used for insulation of roofs. I think it's a trade name from Dow Chemical. It's different from styropor, it probably has a higher density than ordinary foamed styrene. So for making grass mats it's more solid.

Bo, looks good, but I'm missing the electronic diagramme. I would also make the ground lead a lot longer for more manoeuvring space.

regards,
Ivo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »

Bo, looks good, but I'm missing the electronic diagramme. I would also make the ground lead a lot longer for more manoeuvring space.

I don't think there is an electronics diagram -- the guy is using an off-the-shelf negative ion generator so it is just a matter of connecting the switch and the power supply (ok, so an electrical diagram might be useful..., but the connections all seem pretty straightforward to me)

The negative ion generator is the hard to source component. Oatley is an Australian mail order electronics company.

Offline Jacek

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:55:14 AM »
Electro planter on the Polish forum : http://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12090

Up to 1/48 scale use of grass Polak, 2mm and 4mm different colors.  Planters do not have,  ready grass mats do not really like them.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56:40 AM »
Ok, but there's a catch. Most commercially available negative ion generators go upto a certain voltage. We have found that especially for the longer fibres for the larger scales the performance can be improved significantly by heigtening this voltage up to 10kV. It's no tool for children and if you are having a pacemaker I would strongly discourage to use this.

A typical diagram looks like this. The text is in german, but the diagram can be understood without the text.

regards,
Ivo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:50 AM »
Verrrrrry interesting....

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:29:46 AM »
Goodness me Jacek, that base looks superb. The problem for me is that it looks so good it could turn me to painting and basing some more historical wargames figures. Now what sort of distraction would that be just when I expect a rush of WW1 aviation materials to coincide with the centenary?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline compressor man

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:56:53 AM »
This looks fantastic! I am curious on what length of grass you use for a 1/32 scale 'grass patch'

Chris

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 06:30:27 PM »
Thanks for all the very useful information and links, great stuff. I have been doing a bit of net searching and a static grass applicator can be purchased here in Australia for $36.00, not a bad price and saves the hassle of having to make one, I will still try joining four Polak mats to see what they look like.

Des.