Author Topic: Gaspatch 1/48th Salmson  (Read 15981 times)

Airboss 55

Re: Gaspatch 1/48th Salmson
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
Looks like a fun build and a potentially beautiful model.  When I went to the Gaspatch site, it said it was not available to the public just yet.  Can you tell me how to acquire the kit?

Life's Best,

Rick

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 08:13:09 AM »
Hello Rick,

It'll be for sale shortly..  ;)

I got mine from Gaspatch direct at the Scale Model World show.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »
The detail in those parts you have completed is excellent, hard to believe that this is a 1:48 scale kit. What you have done so far is brilliant and I can see that this is going to turn out to be a real masterpiece. I'm looking forward to seeing all your interior wood work.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
did they give a hint on when the kit would be available. it could be considered mild torture watching a kit be built that i cant buy.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »
Very fine start Guy. I feel this will be another great build.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

Thanks for looking in ;)

I too would be glad to hear of a way to cut very delicate parts from a sprue which avoids distorting them. What I tend to do is to use Tamiya cutters, supporting the piece being cut by holding it in flat-tipped tweezers as near to the point of cut as possible. Where the piece is long and thin I also place masking tape along its length to give further support. Inevitably there will remain something to sand down and again the tweezers and masking tape are used.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.. I try generally to cut well away from the part then use a sharp scalpel to remove the excess when it's not under tension, but I still struggle ::)

did they give a hint on when the kit would be available. it could be considered mild torture watching a kit be built that i cant buy.

Yes, I can understand that! They seemed to think it was very soon, so I imagine it's only a matter of days. They had big boxes full of kits with them.

Guy

Offline DaveM

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
Hi Guy,
very impressive looking kit and build.
Found this link to the Salmson manual,hope it helps some.
http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/index.php/digitalizacja/katalog/1430

For cutting off fine delicate pieces I use a razor saw,the type that fits onto a scalpel handle.
It allows more control over detaching the part,then I clean up the nub in the regular way.

Dave.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Very fine progress, Gisbod. It will be very interesting to watch this unveil. I am still debating internally if I should get a Salmson kit, though it will certainly not be 48th scale.  ;)

As for cutting tiny details from sprues, I would like to share my method. I am not using a scalpel but a razor blade. The point is not only the sharpness but the thickness of the blade. Even the new sharp scalpel is much thicker than the razor blade. When you cut with a thick blade, then you inevitably introduce stress to the element - compression which leads to buckling and ultimately - to breaking the piece if it is too slender. Contrary to this - the thin razor blade moved delicately like a saw across the sprue branch, well away from the piece, is pretty safe to use. Honestly, I do not remember when I broke a piece last time.
Speaking of razor blades I  mean this:
http://agreatshave.co.uk/shop/wilkinson-sword-de-razor-blades-pack-of-5/
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »

As for cutting tiny details from sprues, I would like to share my method. I am not using a scalpel but a razor blade. The point is not only the sharpness but the thickness of the blade. Even the new sharp scalpel is much thicker than the razor blade. When you cut with a thick blade, then you inevitably introduce stress to the element - compression which leads to buckling and ultimately - to breaking the piece if it is too slender. Contrary to this - the thin razor blade moved delicately like a saw across the sprue branch, well away from the piece, is pretty safe to use. Honestly, I do not remember when I broke a piece last time.
Speaking of razor blades I  mean this:
http://agreatshave.co.uk/shop/wilkinson-sword-de-razor-blades-pack-of-5/

Great, thanks very much, I'll try that  :)

Hi Guy,
very impressive looking kit and build.
Found this link to the Salmson manual,hope it helps some.
http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/index.php/digitalizacja/katalog/1430

For cutting off fine delicate pieces I use a razor saw,the type that fits onto a scalpel handle.
It allows more control over detaching the part,then I clean up the nub in the regular way.

Dave.

Brilliant, very helpful link, thanks Dave.

I'm already worrying about the struts/top wing fitting ::) definitely my Achilles heel!

As I mentioned before, not a positive connection, just a teeny hole in the wing and a teeny connection knob on the very thin struts. So, should I glue the struts first, let set or do the whole thing in one go? I was thinking maybe an epoxy glue for the struts, let partially set then top wing? How do I go about setting up a jig? How can I ensure the struts are perfectly upright? (The top wing is directly above the lower wing I think - no forward rake/slant.. ).

Any help gratefully received! (Or even better, can someone just pop round and do that bit for me? :D)

Thanks

Guy

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
Ps

The instruction book camouflage colours are very bright - can someone link me to a finished model/aircraft where the colours are evident to get get a feel of what I'm trying to reproduce?

Ta

G

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »
I'm already worrying about the struts/top wing fitting ::) definitely my Achilles heel!

As I mentioned before, not a positive connection, just a teeny hole in the wing and a teeny connection knob on the very thin struts. So, should I glue the struts first, let set or do the whole thing in one go? I was thinking maybe an epoxy glue for the struts, let partially set then top wing? How do I go about setting up a jig? How can I ensure the struts are perfectly upright? (The top wing is directly above the lower wing I think - no forward rake/slant.. ).

Any help gratefully received! (Or even better, can someone just pop round and do that bit for me? :D)

In the case of single struts and unlike-WNW socket-pin connection, as is seemingly the case with Gaspatch Salmson, I first attach the outward interplane struts. With a model resting on a solid base (sometimes just wing support and Patafix blobs to hold it still, sometimes a cardboard jig - e.g. check my 72nd scale SE5a or FF49 build logs) I spend a long time arranging the geometry, in the side, front and top views, also measuring the distance between the top pins lengthwise and spanwise. To fix the struts temporarily during this alignment I am using Patafix. When these four struts are aligned I take off one of them, remove the patafix, apply the glue for plastic and attach it back, again measuring the pin distance in two directions. If it is a resin kit, after the plastic glue is set, I apply liquid CA glue around the strut base using a sharpened toothpick. And so on, one after another, the struts get fixed. Then I attach the top wing, I introduce the glue to the sockets, not to the pins, as it may be smeared on the wing underside when placing the wing. If there is a stagger a solid support in front of the wing is recommended to avoid any possible movement to the front. When this is set I introduce the inward struts and at the very end - the cabane ones.  Hope this may help you.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »
Ps

The instruction book camouflage colours are very bright - can someone link me to a finished model/aircraft where the colours are evident to get get a feel of what I'm trying to reproduce?

Ta

G

Hello Guy,

Great to meet you at the show!

This is coming on a treat - just been fondling mine... (Salmson that is) very impressed, Costas. Decal design on-going now!

Colours:

Not sure how good these swatches will come out on your monitor, but they are taken from Allan Tolle's information:

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »
Your engine, Machine Guns, and Small assemblies look terrific! Extremely well assembled and painted!!  Gaspatch has done an outstanding job in turning out an unbelievably high quality kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »

Perhaps this is of interest (cribbed from WNW site):

Later production aircraft were finished in the ‘standard’ French 5 colour camouflage scheme of chestnut brown, beige, light green, dark green (all of which contained an imperceptible amount of aluminium powder which imparts a very subtle semi gloss ‘pearlescent’ sheen) and black. The undersides appear to have been left as clear doped silk with metal panels painted ecru. Note that while the patterns of the camouflage remained remarkably consistent, existing samples of fabric indicate that the colours were subject to considerable variation, as were the cockade colours. In many period photographs the tonal difference between the beige, brown and greens appears negligible. Aluminium fuselage panels were finished in gloss Ripolin paints (without aluminium powder) which closely, but not exactly, matched the adjacent fabric colours.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 03:14:07 AM »
It's available now, Scott!  (sorry to highjack your thread, Guy)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence