Author Topic: To undercoat or not - that is the question?!!  (Read 913 times)

Offline Andrew H

To undercoat or not - that is the question?!!
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »
Hello everybody. I apologise if this has been asked somewhere before but I couldn't see anything on this. Should I be undercoating everything before putting on the various top coats? I realise that for lozenge decals they need some form of undercoat but this is just for everything else.
What do all you fantastic modellers do - and I mean that sincerely - some of the work on here is mind blowing!

Regards

Andrew

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: To undercoat or not - that is the question?!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:10:05 PM »
Hi Andrew

I think it can be a matter of personal preference. I know at least one skilled modeller who never undercoats. But, for my part I always, always undercoat using a spray can of White undercoat, bought from the local Games Workshop store. It's not cheap but it works for me - not least in sharpening up the detail, but I also find it helps get an evenness of tone.

As to decals, I think a good application of Johnson's Clear (Klir) is an absolutely essential base.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Andrew H

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »
Hello Nigel & thank you.
It's interesting that you use a white undercoat when mostly you see people recommending grey. I will try this ASAP.

Regards

Andrew

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »
Don't forget Andrew, it's a matter of personal preference. Using white just suits my particular approach.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 02:34:35 AM »
It sometimes depends on what your final colors will be.  A grey undercoat will tend to make a yellow final coat appear greenish.  In that case, white is the preferred basecoat.  As Nigel has noted, it is largely a matter of personal preference outside the color shift issues noted.

Regards,

Bob

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »
I pretty much always give at least a light coat of Tamiya Fine White primer to everything
-Patrick