Author Topic: Clutter in photos  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Clutter in photos
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »
When taking photos of my models I always try to have the model sitting on a clear sheet of white stiff paper/card. Having a lot of clutter around the model distracts from the objective of the photo as clearly seen in the following photo. The top photo shows a lot of tools, paints and other modeling paraphemalia lying around with the aeroplane being lost among the clutter whilst the second photo show a very clear image of the aeroplane, the viewer is not distracted by the clutter and can concentrate soley on the model.

Here is another photo of the same aeroplane model, the WNW Sopwith Snipe. Again, the top photo shows the model surrounded by clutter which distracts from the model, the bottom photo puts the entire focus on the model allowing the viewer to see only the model.

Naturally, if the modeler wants to show certain aspects of the build the inclusion of tools and paints etc are sometimes necessary, but if kept to a minimum the photo should still be uncluttered.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Clutter in photos
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:55:14 PM »
Your workbench shots dont have the beer bottles in it like mine would - now THOSE are distracting...thanks for the simple,effective tip.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Clutter in photos
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
It is a very simple tip Steve but makes a huge difference to the outcome of the photograph, we want to look at a model, not all the model building tools.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com