Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 430114 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #900 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:50 AM »
The felix, though larger, came in at quite a bit higher cost than I guessed so I am thinking the lowest the AEG will be is the 149.00
-Patrick

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #901 on: January 24, 2015, 06:42:24 AM »
I am thinking it will be in line with the Gotha.  Yes it is smaller, slightly.  But it is a more complex aircraft and for its time very sophisticated.  Don't forget, there may be a sheet of night camo lozenge in the box, lots of it.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #902 on: January 24, 2015, 06:53:50 AM »
My guess is $200+  Wingnuts will take this opportunity to lift the price of this kit to keep in line with rising manufacturing costs, higher wages plus higher profit margins, we have to remember that Wingnuts is a business and the sole purpose of a business is to make money, they are not a charity. Even at $225 it would still be good value, it is a highly detailed kit and will be in big demand, on top of the Felixstowe and the W.12 it has been a bumper time for Wingnuts.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #903 on: January 24, 2015, 08:33:28 AM »
I in no way suggested that Wingnuts are purely profit driven, and no-one, not even an accountant can know the inside workings of Wingnuts. They are a very secretive company and are controlled soley by Sir Peter Jackson, he is a multi millionaire with a passion for WW1 aircaft of HIS liking, he is not swayed at all by what the public wants or needs, he doesn't have to, he has his own model shop. There are hundreds of WW1 aircraft that could be kitted but never will be, why haven't other companies jumped in and made these kits simply because they know there is not a market for them. Wingnuts can make whatever kit they want to and know darn well it will sell purely on their reputation, they are not influenced at all by modelers yelling and screaming for particular kits. They do have sold out kits as all companies do but you can bet your boots that in time most of those kits will surface again, probably under a different box and with some extras added, SPJ will never sell his tooling for these kits so they will always be present with Wingnuts for future use.

You say the Wingnuts have a tiny marketing budget, how do you know that, have you looked into their books. They don't need to market their product, all the forums and websites around the world are doing that for them, free advertising is the best form of advertising, there are even websites and forum dedicated to Wingnuts kits, you couldn't ask for better marketing. They shut down for two weeks over Christmas, big deal, so does a majority of other businesses, try getting a tradesman over the Christmas/New Year break, and besides, their website is still operating over that period and orders are still being accepted, so the only real difference is that there is no staff to process the orders.

I have known many companys who make limited run kits and once sold out that's it, their gone, When Wingnuts first started they made a public statement that all, and I mean all, of their kits are limited run kits, so it is inevitable that the kits will eventually run out, but on the other side of the coin they are being replaced by new kits at a far greater rate. Many modelrs are complaining that they missed out on certain kits, but they were forewarned with the limited run message.

You have written a list of aeroplane that Wingnuts should kit, why not write to all the other model producing companies and ask them to make those kits, I bet you would get a very positive "no way".

We should all be very thankful that Wingnuts are here and producing superb kits, regarldless of the way the company is run they are doing an excellent job and satisfying the modelers, just look at the response on the forum to their Felixstowe kit, an enormous kit with an enormous price but it hasn't deterred modelers from buying it, who needs multi million dollar marketing when the modelers will do it for them, common sense in my eyes.

Des.

PS. I used to own and operate my own model shop so I do know quite a bit about the model industry and how they operate.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #904 on: January 24, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »
This is now the end of this subject, please bring this topic back to its original topic by not talking about how Wingnuts is run, how much money they are making or how they should operate their business, it is their business and they will do it the way they feel is best suited for them.

Des.

WarrenD

« Reply #905 on: January 24, 2015, 09:33:12 AM »
Everything in life is a limited run. Everything. (Except death and taxes.)  :) :)

Now, back to our useless and wasteful speculation.  :) :) ;) ;)

Warren

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
I still speculate that the AEG will be $200+ which in this day and age is not a bad price, I will definitely be getting one.

Des.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #907 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:22 AM »
    With our dollar at around $.80 US I may have to concentrate on that which resides in my Stash for a while.......!! :-\ :(
Cheers,
Lance   

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #908 on: January 24, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
Sadly, I am thinking the same way Lance, our Aussie dollar went to 0.79 yesterday with predictions of it dropping to 0.76 around June, very sad news for any new Wingnuts kits I want to buy, but, I will still buy the AEG when it is released.

Des.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:45:21 AM by Des »

mike in calif

« Reply #909 on: January 24, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »
The Felix is, to me, an expensive kit. That said, it is also a lot of building. I expect the same with the AEG.

WarrenD

« Reply #910 on: January 24, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
Well, I forget now just who it was that, during the great Felixstowe excitement, said that when you looked at it in terms of hours of building enjoyment, it breaks down to a good value. I have no doubt that the AEG will prove to be similar. As much as I love the Gotha, I feel the AEG has an even cooler look. Add to that the fact it doesn't get as much love as the Gotha in the WWI aviation press, and it just makes me want one even more.
However, I don't have the cash, or the room for it.

Warren

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #911 on: January 25, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »
And it was more widely used than the Gotha G.IV. More of them built too.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #912 on: January 25, 2015, 04:07:13 AM »
To put it's size into perspective, it's wingspan was only 3.4 meters greater than the Junkers J.1.  Given that I have a J.1, I can't completely rule this one out based on size.  Wouldn't be fair.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #913 on: January 25, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
Here is a size comparison for the three models, the Gotha, Felix and the AEG.

Gotha               Felix             AEG

Wingspan       740mm           921mm           575mm

Length           381mm           440mm           303mm

As can be seen here the AEG is the smallest of the three both in wingspan and length.

The smaller size of the AEG will make it a more manageable kit and model for those who have limited display space. The DH.9 has a wingspan just over 400mm and the RE.8 just a fraction under 400mm while the Junkers J.1 has a wingspan of 500mm, so the AEG with its 575mm wingspan, even though quite large, is still a good medium sized model to display.

Des.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #914 on: January 25, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »
Getting back to Speculation.. and Box Art. After looking at all of the current kits The following is my conclusion: There were several earlier releases that featured Aircraft released later. No need to really get involved in the specifics. The following is a Very ROUGH count:
DR1 featured in 2 backgrounds
Camel in 3( Maybe More but some were difficult to decipher. (Especially if in flames)
SPADS: Featured in 6 backgrounds. ( My eyesight is poor so 1 or 2 of those could have been French 2 seaters)( Especially those in flames)
Albatros DII/DIII 3
Nieuport Scout( Looks Like an 11) 1
Not especially well researched( done very quickly with no means to enlarge) for certainty. The rest had either No other Aircraft or those that have already been released.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler