Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425755 times)

Offline ermeio

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #825 on: January 11, 2015, 01:30:05 AM »
I find one of WNW's attractive quirks is that you just don't have a clue about what they will produce next.  I mean, a monster kit like the Felixstowe is produced in 2 versions in 1/32 and nobody in the industry knew. This despite WNW outsourcing all the production of the plastic, printing, decals & boxing. I find it absolutely incredible that nobody said anything, not even a subtle hint. It says an awful lot about the staff & the relationships WNW must have with their suppliers. Non disclosure must be at the core of their contractual agreements.

It's very impressive indeed. Most manufacturers will announce months, sometimes years in advance what they will launch next. I guess that they are just not set up to sell as many units as they can, hence the sold out signs. It really is run like a giant cottage industry.
I was wondering if their strategy is just a crowdfunding model of business on steroids:
How many of them would have crowdfunded sir Peter for this mad adventure?
Yet I think that many among us volunteered buying their shares (WNW kits)
Therefore it remains the passionate dream of a group of daylight dreamers and they are making their dreams real.
Moreover there is also something like a social responsibility in WNW owners: making this world a better place, producing something that no one else would have produced in the years to come (at least for our little community).
Long life to sir Peter...

mike in calif

« Reply #826 on: January 11, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Agreed Kai, Ermio. Their first kit was the Junkers J-1?? My fond wish now is that WNW re-releases the Liberty engine sprues. I have a lovely shot of a Curtis boat above Sandy Eggo bay with roundels still on the wing. Yes, the plane is massive even in the piccie.
 A LOT of people are still waiting on the Trumpy 1/32 Devestator, 7-8 years on.

Offline Berman

« Reply #827 on: January 11, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
 Quite likely that WNW will release a Curtiss version. They already have the Liberty engine.  Lone Star Models which makes a 1/48th scale Felixstowe F.2a has plans to make a Curtiss flyingboat. Mike West is currently making the patterns for the 1/48th scale V-12 Liberty engine.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #828 on: January 11, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
It would be great to see the Curtiss version of the flying boat, the Liberty engine produced by Wingnuts is superb.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline zavod44

« Reply #829 on: January 12, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »
If they reproduce those Liberty's I'll attempt a conversion......

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #830 on: January 12, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
Christmas break is over for WNW, but....

...where is the announcement for the AEG?  :P

S.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #831 on: January 13, 2015, 12:20:15 AM »
Christmas break is over for WNW, but....

...where is the announcement for the AEG?  :P

S.

Give them a chance!  First day back, they're busy shipping all the Felixstowes (and other kits) ordered during the break.   ;)

Eric

Offline gcn

« Reply #832 on: January 13, 2015, 02:07:33 AM »
I'm sure it is too.

That's why the liberty sprues are no longer available as it would hurt future sales.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #833 on: January 13, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
Agreed Kai, Ermio. Their first kit was the Junkers J-1?? My fond wish now is that WNW re-releases the Liberty engine sprues. I have a lovely shot of a Curtis boat above Sandy Eggo bay with roundels still on the wing. Yes, the plane is massive even in the piccie.
 A LOT of people are still waiting on the Trumpy 1/32 Devestator, 7-8 years on.

They released four kits simultaneously - SE.5a, Junker J1, LVG C.VI & Bristol F.2B. They also showed mock-up of the Gotha & Pup, with hints around the Fe.2b, DH.2, Albatros, RE.8 and Fokker D.VII amongst others.

Talk about starting with a bang! I remember Windsock magazine devoting an entire special issue to the four, predicting that WWI modelling would never be the same again.

I think a Liberty engined Felixstowe must be in the works, the marginal cost to do so would be comparatively small.

Funny, You have shaken my memory! When WNW was first announced the Drome Modeling section was still going strong. I remember asking if this was an April Fools Joke! It seems that Ray and Windsock were indeed correct about WW1 Modeling!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #834 on: January 13, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
I remember very well the day Wingnuts launched their new kits, what a surprise it was to me because I had only not long before decided to build 1:32 scale WW1 model aircraft and at the time was working my way through building all the Roden 1:32 WW1 kits, I nearly fell off my chair when I found out that Wingnuts were doing 1:32 scale WW1 kits, naturally I purchased their first four releases. I also remember the statement that Ray made about WW1 modeling would never be the same, just look at what has happened over the past three years not just in new kits but aftermarket accessories as well.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #835 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
One other thing I have been thinking about. Earlier someone mentioned WNW using the Existing SE%a and a Fokker Triplane in a duelist kit. At first I thought that unlikely but after further thought here is my speculation:
IF WNW were to release an F1 version of the Triplane then a Dualists is the ONLY logical way. Lets face it, there are only 2 available schemes for the F1s. A duelist version of Voss and APF Rhys Davids / and or McCudden would certainly be the way to go. Limited numbers for a kit with limited schemes!
RAGIII

mike in calif

« Reply #836 on: January 13, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
Good point Rick,
 Prolly the most famous combat between pilots was Voss and Rhys-Davids/mcCudden, so that would be a fit. I wouldn't put it past WNW to simply make a kit that allows future sales of Dr.I versions as well as the F.Is. Isn't that how Roden did it?
 After the AEG, and 1920s versions of the Brisfit and Ninack, the crystal ball is a little murky....   Has anyone seen anymore teaser shots like the ones that Dan-san so nicely deduced would be future releases?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #837 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
Good point Rick,
 Prolly the most famous combat between pilots was Voss and Rhys-Davids/mcCudden, so that would be a fit. I wouldn't put it past WNW to simply make a kit that allows future sales of Dr.I versions as well as the F.Is. Isn't that how Roden did it?
 After the AEG, and 1920s versions of the Brisfit and Ninack, the crystal ball is a little murky....   Has anyone seen anymore teaser shots like the ones that Dan-san so nicely deduced would be future releases?

Yes, there would certainly be a DR1 to follow, LOTS of schemes from basic to colorful!
RAGIII

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #838 on: January 13, 2015, 09:57:31 PM »
One other thing I have been thinking about. Earlier someone mentioned WNW using the Existing SE%a and a Fokker Triplane in a duelist kit. At first I thought that unlikely but after further thought here is my speculation:
IF WNW were to release an F1 version of the Triplane then a Dualists is the ONLY logical way .......

That was me Rick. My thinking was that we'd inevitably see a Triplane released by WNW as a single kit, but that it would also be an obvious choice, in one form or another, for a Duellist set. While box art might prove a source for speculation or just a red herring, the SE5a Hisso box art does show an engagement with Triplane. Perhaps more compellingly WNW have always avoided the obvious clichés. Such a cliché would pair a Triplane with a Camel. Maybe if a Camel was to be released we'd see that in Duellist set with a D.VII or a re-released LGV CVI.

Ah just idle speculation with some wishful thinking!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #839 on: January 13, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
I have just done some statistics on WNW new releases rates:
2009 - 4 kits
2010 - 10 kits
2011 - 5 kits
2012 - 9 kits
2013 - 8 kits
2014 - 10 kits
I wonder how many we will see this year? And what subjects?
Still, I personally like that mystery veil around their new releases, the more secret, the better surprise, isn't it?
On the other hand, I have now in my stash two (only two, being proud of it!!) great WNW kits - their newest ones. Taking into account the dimensions of Felix this is probably enough for almost a year of modelling for me. So I could live calmly even if they did not release anything this year  ;) Especially that there are still a few 1/72 subjects I would like to build before my eyesight deteriorates and condemns me to big scale only.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.