Author Topic: Any tips please - I need help  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Cimmerian

Any tips please - I need help
« on: September 19, 2013, 04:00:50 AM »
After building up the nerve to post pictures of my Albatros and getting many kind words I have got kind of fired up. I have a DR.1 on the bench and several other suitable types waiting on the shelf.

So far I've only really attempted German Aircraft because the struts are fairly easy but I really would like to do an SE5a or two and a Camel.
As the saying on one of the model railway forums I visit says "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask" I thought somebody might be willing to impart some wisdom my way.

What I need help with is how do I position the struts when they are individual pieces? Is there some trick to it that I haven't spotted yet or is it just the traditional 'swear a lot and hope for the best'. If it makes any difference I'm working in 1/72.

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Any tips please - I need help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »
I would suggest not trying to fit all the struts at once. Glue the centre section struts first and make a jig (I use Lego blocks) to hold the top wing parallel with the bottom wing and with the correct stagger while the glue dries. Once dry insert the outer interplane struts.
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:04:40 AM »
Start in the middle? That could be why all my previous attempts have gone so wrong. I've always started with the interplane ones and ended up with a horrible mess.

Thank you.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Zabu

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »
I must agree with jamo.

IMHO it's also better if you start by glueing the cabane struts (centre struts).
Not generally speaking, if you start with the outer strus it will be more dificult to insert the center ones being 1/72 such a small scale and it's also easier to make any adjustments on outer struts size or position.

Get a jig... legos, balsa plywood, paper card... or buy one!

Try ti dry fit to see how they go with the help of the jig.

Allow glue to dry before trying to insert the outer struts. Don't rush yourself... and you'll be fine!

Cheers

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Jamo is quite correct inw what he has said. I have worked in all three major scales over the years and found that working from the cabane struts outwards is the best way to go. I am primarily a 1:32 scale builder now but still use the same technique, cabanes (middle) first. The same applies to the rigging, I always rig the cabanes first then work outwards.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »
I only work in 1:72 and I also agree!
 If the cabane struts are separate pieces, make a small jig - a piece of plastic card with holes drilled in the right places is a great help: using your plans, drill small holes for each strut in a thin piece of scrap plastic sheet. Mount the struts on the fuselage and then slip the upper ends into the holes in your piece of plastic, supporting it as necessary to keep all the struts lined up and at the correct angle until they are dry. Then attach the upper wing, and lastly, the outer struts!

ian

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »
a rudimentary jig is helful to me. i usually glue the cabanes and try to elevate the rear of the plane so that the wing is level front to back(chordwise) i have used cd cases ,coins, paint bottles or whatever you find that will work. next find a way to support the wing tips so that the wing is in the proper position and line up the cabanes with the holes the will be glued in. let this dry over night. then you can glue the interplanes struts and the fully dryed cabanes will hold the wing in position and support the weight as interplanes are drying. then you just need to rig.

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
Many thanks for all the replies, Gents. It appears that everybody agrees I have been doing it the wrong way round. Sounds about right for me. ;D

I have one of these but I couldn't figure out how to use it and there are no instructions, I guess I'd better find it and have another go.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SRAMACC2

Cheers for all the replies.
Regards, Ken

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »
I think you have your answer, Ken.  I just wanted to say that as one of those
who model in 1/72nd, you have my admiration.  It takes a lot of talent to
build in the teeny scale, especially Great War aeroplanes.  Good on you!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...