Author Topic: Fokker EV  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: Fokker EV
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 03:03:44 AM »
Hello, Nigel and All,

In response to Lance's post, here are some photos of my DV. It is based on the Dan-San Abbott 1999 drawing of Fok. EV 149/18, Ltn. Friedrich Liebig, Jasta 1, Helesmes Airfield, October 1918. On another forum, a number of us built models based on DSA's drawings as a memorial and mark of respect when he passed away. The drawing is shown, along with the model and a photo of DSA, in the third image below:

I also used images from Achim's website to get some of the details for the build. My technique was to use Spada "plywood" decals to cover the wing (panel by panel), then gloss coat the wing, very lightly airbrush the colours, and finally to "streak" the colours using thinned acrylic and a broad-tipped brush. This allowed most of the "wood grain" to show through the paint skin. The colours used were mixed to get as close as possible to those in the DSA drawing. Hope this helps a bit!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 03:15:09 AM »
Dear Lance and Trackpad

Thank you both very much for the information and, Trackpad, for the immensely helpful photos relating to your build. If I do choose an EV as the next project it looks as if it could be a very different bird from that I imagined. I had thought about going for the snake and rabbit EV, included as option A in the Eduard instruction booklet, but now I'm not so sure.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »
Hello, Nigel,

You are very welcome. If I can assist further, please let me know. Good luck with your build!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
Thanks from me too. I was completely unaware of the new information on the wing finish.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Hello All

Just to pick up on an earlier point.....

Last night I checked through Windsock datafile 25, Fokker D.VIII by P M. Grosz. In the introduction Grosz noted that, at the time of writing (1991?), only one victory can be confirmed to a pilot flying an E.V/D.VIII - Emil Rolff of Jasta 6 on August 17 1918.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Zabu

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »
In the introduction Grosz noted that, at the time of writing (1991?), only one victory can be confirmed to a pilot flying an E.V/D.VIII - Emil Rolff of Jasta 6 on August 17 1918.

Best wishes
Nigel

Yes that's right. Rolff made the first and only victory for the type being by then the E.V. But three days later he got killed because his wing broke apart. He fell from 300m near the Bernes sugar factory just after taking off.

Idflieg grounded the E.V. Then the aircraft came back on October as D.VIII after new wings were placed with tigher assembly standards but never went to combat again.

Cheers

mike in calif

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »
The stain colors are all in the back of the Datafile, but IIRC, the interpretation was that they were mixed, to achive a single uniform color, as opposed to separate colors.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
The stain colors are all in the back of the Datafile, but IIRC, the interpretation was that they were mixed, to achive a single uniform color, as opposed to separate colors.

This has been debated and imo rather convincingly debunked.  The photo evidence is clear enough that there are distinct demarcations.  And why would an aircraft company order paint unmixed only to mix it together when they receive it? It doesn't make any sense. If the colors are mixed together in the quantities specified, the result is not dark olive green.

But of course there is no absolute certainty in this game, that's what keeps it interesting, right?

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »

Hello All

Mike. Yes,  I also spotted the same chart at the back of the Datafile along with the note that they were possibly mixed together to achieve the factory dark olive. So we have

20gm Mocha Brown (Wood Stain)
20gm Azure Blue
20gm 'Azin' (brand name) violet
20gm New True Green

I have no expertise in the science of colour but that does seem to me an odd mix. First, and perhaps most straightforward is that surely there are simpler (and cheaper?) ways of achieving a dark olive (based around yellow and lamp black?). Second, would this mix (using exactly the same quantities [by weight?] of the raw materials) actually produce a dark olive colour? 

Bo As you realise from my words above, I too am very sceptical indeed about the dark olive finish and have found the links and advice from Jamo and Trackpad invaluable.

My initial aim was to give myself a relatively straightforward break with a simple, Eduard quality, 1/48 EV. If only I had known! After some uncertainty, I'm pretty sure that I will have a go in due course and just hope that I can produce something as good as Trackpad has managed.

Best wishes
Nigel

mike in calif

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
Bo, Nige, I jumped in late, and must say that I have moved pretty firmly to the "stained wing" camp. I still have one Avis DVIII left, and that will be the approach I take. AF was known for being.... "thrifty" with materials, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had his guys thin the stain just to get a few more square feet of coverage.
 Nigel, I'd say you still have a straightforward BUILD, just a different plan for the colors.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
Thanks from me too. I was completely unaware of the new information on the wing finish.

You are most welcome, Rob!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 12:22:02 AM »
Hello All

When I do eventually start, I'll do a build log, but I can see some challenges ahead in going for the streaked wing effect. First as to whether there was a nice simple divide two and two between the four named colours: two above wing; two below. Or whether indeed it was three upper and one lower. Second as to the number  'stripes' of colour; the evidence seems to point to variable numbers (and widths?). Third as to whether the factory technique for application in this streaky way was the same as that for other Fokker aircraft; I seem to recall reading that it wasn't.

Best wishes
Nigel