Author Topic: 10,000 photos  (Read 848 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
10,000 photos
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:34:42 AM »
These posts were originally posted in WnW Wooden Wonders but are off topic, it is more appropriate to have this topic under it's own heading.

Des.

David,
    10,000 photos.................now I know who to go to with the really tough questions! Seriously, that's an awesome undertaking, and most impressive. I agree totally with your thoughts on color etc. in your opening statement; the only Rule seems to be..........there is / was no Rule! Good luck with your cataloguing, are you considering a book or some sort of publishing of your photos eventually? I think something along those lines would be very well received.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:10:46 PM by Des »

Offline David

Re: 10,000 photos
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
You're very welcome to ask any question at any time Guy!  :)  I might not always be able to find an answer for you, or anyone else who needs to know anything but I will certainly try to find an answer for you!

The 10,000 is only an estimate.  It could be slightly, although it would not be significantly less than that but it could be up to about 15,000 or so!  I lost track a long time ago, and I buy dozens more of them every week.  The most important thing is to catalogue them so that I know more or less what I have, and make copies of them just in case they are lost or damaged.  In terms of electronic photos I would imagine that I have at least twice as many as actual photos, and possibly up to five times as many!  They are easier to search because I simply search my electronic files using a search word which I think is appropriate.  There is a down side though.  I can't find at least one of my hard drives - and I know that there are a huge number of digital photos on it, and another computer was stolen by my ex wife when she decided that she did not want to be married any more!  >:(  I bought that computer before I even knew her, and although it was only a $200 computer I bought at a garage sale it had years of research on it.  She probably threw it away years ago, without a care in the world but how many photos are now lost to the world due to this?  ::)  The crazy thing is that I still have things that she wants and I don't want, but oh, no I doubt very much that I will ever see that computer again.  Fortunately I think that I had copied most of them onto CD's, and I have quite a few other computers with many other photos on them.  One of the photos I was not able to find was a striped fuselaged Albatros D.V or D.Va.  At that time there was an eBay member called Aero Greg who was bidding against me, so let's hope that Aero Greg is Greg van Wyngarden, and that he won that particular photo!  Greg has been doing absolutely marvellous research and has been publishing some world class books and publications, so this particular photo could show up again.  The Albatros had crashed into a ditch, but I can remember the photo quite clearly and it is one of the best photos of an Albatros D.V or D.Va that I ever remember seeing.

Regarding colours, yes, just when you think you have it all worked out there is always an exception to the rule that seems to turn up and force you to totally re - think what you thought you knew!  For example, I have heard that evidence has turned up relatively recently which proves that lozenge fabric was produced in more than one set of colours.  I'm not talking about the difference between four and five colour lozenge, but variations of the colours used in these two different versions of lozenge fabric.  Previously I had found, by examining a significant number of original lozenge fabric samples that the pattern, size and shape of the lozenges can vary but the colours have always been remarkably consistent.  I examined samples manufactured in different years, and applied in different factories but I was unable to find any significant variations.  Most colours, with the notable exception of the earthy yellow (I guess we would call it ocre here in Australia) on the upper surface have been virtually identical from one sample to another, to a degree that I think would be difficult, if not impossible to achieve even today!  There is some variation due to ageing and / or weathering but where it has been protected it can be seen that the quality control regarding colours was generally exceptional.  The earthy yellow varies significantly from a bright, slightly dirty yellow to quite a dark brownish yellow, sometimes on the same sample!  I think the issue with the variation here was in the saturation of the dye as it was applied to the fabric, rather than a quality control issue.  Variations in saturation in my experience affected this colour significantly and other colours to much less an extent.  I have a sample which shows this colour printed in a dark yellowish brown with a goldish tinge to a medium dirty yellow, and then to a much brighter, slightly dirty yellow within two full rolls of the rollers! (3 identical irregular polygons).  The distance over which this colour change occurs is only a metre or so.  One of the most notable things about lozenge fabric is the patchy manner the colours were applied to the fabric.  This is due to variations in saturation of the dye as it is applied to the fabric, and the rough nature of the fabric itself.  The thread size varies enormously, in stark contrast to British fabric, which was of exceptional quality.  There has been talk of German fabric having been calendared, which means that the threads have been rolled in order to flatten the imperfections out, and fill the significant gaps between the threads.  Whether this is as a result of the process of rolling the colours onto the fabric, or it was a separate process I am not sure.  I have, however noticed that the larger threads consistently have far less colour applied to them than the smaller threads.  I think this is simply the result of the colour being squeezed out of the thread as it is applied by the rollers.  Therefore, lower lying patches with smaller threads have a much more saturated application of the colouring dye.  I assume that the coarse fabric applied to German aeroplanes late in the war was due to the fact that the Germans were unable to obtain better quality materials, due to the blockades carried out by the allies.  The Germans had terrible trouble obtaining almost all raw materials, and they had to make to with what they had, or were able to obtain.  In the case of petrol I heard that they made their own, synthetic petrol which had a higher octane rating than the petrol manufactured by the allies.

Yes, the purpose of collecting so many photos is to preserve them for future generations, and eventually to publish some work.  I am still learning, so I am not sure what to write about but I will know what to write about when the time is right.  The original purpose for collecting photos was to obtain information about markings on aeroplanes.  Colin Owers was the most influential researcher in this regard.  He told me over twenty years ago that most aeroplanes were known only by one or two views in photographs.  I then set out to try to determine how many photos are out there, and which aeroplanes they illustrate.  There are a few large collections here in Australia, and they don't all overlap each other.  Although many of the photos are able to be found in most or all of the collections, but each collection has its' own unique set of photos.  I just received another two in the mail, for example.  There was a knock at the door and I had to sign for one of the photos as I was typing this reply.  The one I signed for is an original Sanke card, number 363, of Hauptmann Boelke.  The other envelope has two outstanding photos of Halberstadt CL.II's.  One is not identified but has clear markings and the other one is an overturned CL.II identified on the rear as being from Schlasta 7.  They are both absolutely outstanding photos, and really belong in a book.  I have always offered copies of these photos to anyone who wishes to publish some work, and this offer will always stand.  I can't write all the books myself!  There are only so many hours in the day, and there are so many other things to achieve.  Building museum standard replicas is one of these, but I am starting to realise just how huge an undertaking it really is.  Day to day things seem to make building and writing close to impossible.  It really takes a lot of effort, but it's the reason I started collecting and researching.  It's definitely time to start building and writing!

Regards,

David.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
With so many photos David you really need to publish some books, this is very valuable information and needs to be kept for prosperity.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 03:44:26 AM »
Hi guys,

I was busy for most of the day and then fell asleep.  I've been stressed for a while, and it keeps happening.  It really saps my energy.

I briefly saw a reference to giving Guy his thread back, but I fell asleep before I was able to do anything about it.  I was going to copy it all and send it to you in a private message Lance.  It might have even taken two or three private messages!  :-[  I do get a bit excited at times! ;D  So, it's great to see it posted here.  I was hoping that it was not deleted, since at least Lance is interested to hear what I have to say, and I am sure that others will be too.  Having the other forum taken from us does not help  >:( (Des knows what I am talking about) and there has been a lot I have wanted to talk about over the last year or two.  That's why I posted my 1:8 scale Axial propeller build log on woodenpropeller.com , I had nowhere else to post it at that time.

My Dad was in the Army and I was born in and grew up in Papua New Guinea.  There are thousands of fascinating relics still there from WW2.  This is where my interest in Military History and the preservation of relics came from.  Later my Dad was posted to England, where I spent a few more years before we finally came to Australia to live.  I met a lot of Australian and British Military Officers there, and of course they are very proud of their efforts during WW1 and WW2.  Apart from a year here in Canberra between the age of 1 and 2, which I remember parts of, I did not come to live here in Australia until I was almost 10 years old.  I still have an English accent but I had to learn how to talk more like an Australian so it's about 50% / 50%.  Australians don't understand other accents particularly well, and when they can they sometimes pretend that they can't!  ::) ... or just take the mickey  :D

Even with so many photos it's hard to know everything about everything.  I still learn a lot from other forum members, and organisations such as TVAL and WNW.  They really are doing some exceptional work.  I've had the same dream as Sir Peter for about 30 years now, and I can make it happen to a degree, although unless I am able to establish a massive source of income I won't be able to build anywhere near as many aeroplanes as he does!  I would like to though, but I am really starting to gain an appreciation of how much work goes into a full sized replica.  It's a lot more work and money than I realised it would be, even with some relevant restoration and construction experience.  I am currently having discussions with an engine builder who tells me that he has the experience and contacts to build new replica engines.  This is very exciting, since I have a few sets of engine drawings, and have not been able to find anyone who can forge crankshafts etc or cast engine blocks.  There is one company in particular which is still in business who might be able to cast blocks for me, but I have not been able to find anyone who can forge steel so far.  I will have another chat with the engine builder and see who he uses.  Industry is almost dead here in Australia unfortunately.

Besides building replica bits and pieces, and for reference, the photo collection is intended for exactly that purpose.  I would like to write a series of books and / or publications.  I have always offered my resources to other authors, and this offer will always stand.  I have had quite a few photos published, but these amount to a small fraction of 1% of the collection.  As you can probably imagine, most authors / collectors are looking for either something very specific, or rare, such as photos of MvR.  As soon as I finish this I am about to reply (as long as I don't run out of time - there are always other things to do) to an e-mail I received from an author.  He mentioned a book about the Albatros D.I and D.II and a book on this subject has just been published, so it is probably his.  I have found this time after time.  I offer my photos for publication but authors don't seem to know about the collection.  It's only through threads such as this one that I can get the word out.  This particular author is interested in a photo I have which I believe is of MvR's Albatros D.V, and which I believe has never been published.  He is also interested in a particular photo of MvR which has been published, but I probably only have a digital copy of this photo, if at all.  Authors tend to be interested in photos such as these, which of course are only a miniscule part of the entire collection.  Apart from this type of photograph they tend to ask for a photo of a particular aeroplane, or something relatively obscure such as a photo of a particular part of an aeroplane, and sometimes particular personnel.  I have a vast number of photos of unidentified personnel, but I will do my best to put as many names to as many faces as possible.  It's a huge job!  One fascinating photo I saw on eBay yesterday was of a flight instructor who was named, and a group of pupils, who were not named.  There was a note on the photo that all of the pupils had been killed in combat.  A disturbingly high percentage of pupils were killed in training accidents.  This was not mentioned on the photo, but perhaps some of them were killed in training and some in combat.  I found this photo to be immensely sad and even disturbing, but fascinating.  I would dearly love to be able to identify as many of the pupils as possible, but how do you find out who they were?  One Idea I have is to start with known names, and try to track the progression of faces associated with various Squadrons and match them as far as possible to existing records.  It is possible to gain clues from photos such as the rank of the CO at the time, the types of aeroplanes which may appear which help in dating the photos.  It is an absolutely massive undertaking, and I really need several lifetimes to achieve all of this!

Rest assured that I intend to keep these photos for prosperity, and if anyone would like to publish some work, they are very welcome to use copies of my photos.  From time to time there will be opportunities to post some photos here.

Regards,

David.