Author Topic: Painting a fuselage with cockpit installed........?  (Read 5901 times)

Offline JoeDxMB

Painting a fuselage with cockpit installed........?
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
I assume that others  do basically what I used to do.

This would consist of painting and detailing  the cockpit, at least  as much as you have to do before  installing it in the fuselage.

Then install  the cockpit  in the fuselage.

When ready to paint the fusalage, mask the cockpit slightly above the cockpit edging. When the fuselage is finished, remove the masking, paint and detail the edging, etc.

Is there any better way to do this that I'm not aware of? 

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Painting a fuselage with cockpit installed........?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
It is advisable to do all the internal painting before assembling the fuselage halves. I do all my cockpit detailing and painting and the internal sides of the fuselage first, then I fit the cockpit and all cockpit accessories including control wires etc. It is now time to close up the fuselage, sometimes a bit of filler is required along the joint lines of the fuselage, once this is done it is a simple matter to mask the cockpit then paint the fuselage. Once the masking has been removed final touch-ups around the cockpit can be completed like the cockpit padding if fitted. It would be very difficult to paint and add cockpit details once the fuselage has been buttoned up, and the smaller the scale the harder it would be.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »
Thanks. I guess it all  all comes down to a bit of common sense and what works for any  given aircraft.

I just thought I would pick the brains of the experts here as I aways want to learn more.  :)   
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:57:08 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
When once you've completed your cockpit and joined the fusilage halves, if you are airbrushing, a good way to mask the cockpit is to roll up a piece of kitchen roll and gently push it into the cockpit.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »
Another simple way to mask is to use a plug of sponge cut to be a snug fit, its reuseable many times, just check the paint you use won't dissolve the sponge. Fits cowling openings etc a doddl too.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »
I usually stuff the cockpit with tissue paper, it being soft means it is gentle on the internal parts, but I like your idea Keith of using a plug of sponge, I will use this technique for my next painting job.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »
I wish it were my idea Des, I picked it up long ago from an old hand on Aeroscale, so long ago I can't remember who.... over a week ago then ;D

K..... checks his name tag ..... htiek
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Jim52

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »
It's backwards Keith.....Ya have to stand on your head!  ;D ;D ;D

Jim

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »
All,

This is where brush painting really comes into it's own at this stage as I don't need to worry about masking off the cockpit so long as I carefully paint around cockpit/engine openings.  The only thing I may need to do is to careful touch in with small brush if I over run with any paint.   I also paint fuselage with lower wing attached - this gives me something to hold onto whilst painting and applying decals.   

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »
When once you've completed your cockpit and joined the fusilage halves, if you are airbrushing, a good way to mask the cockpit is to roll up a piece of kitchen roll and gently push it into the cockpit.
Cheers
Pete.

Just a follow-on with Keith's comment: I'll do the same, then use a paint brush to dampen the paper slightly. This tends to keep the paper from unrolling and possibly falling out: just a bit of "excess insurance!"  :D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
Cheers
Pete.

Just a follow-on with Keith's comment: I'll do the same, then use a paint brush to dampen the paper slightly. This tends to keep the paper from unrolling and possibly falling out: just a bit of "excess insurance!"  :D

Good idea, although the kitchen roll is confined by the cockpit cut out so shouldn't unroll.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »
The dampened paper also expands to give a better seal, IMHO.