Author Topic: Update of 1/32 lozenge decal comparison, now with Aviattic decals  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Greetings All
I am posting this here rather than in the Review section so that anyone who wishes to comment may do so. Richard Andrews from Aviattic was kind enough to send me samples of their new lozenge decals for reviewing. I hope to have the review finished in the next day or so, but in the meantime here are some side by side comparisons of their lozenge decals alongside Wingnut Wings, Wood & Wire, HGW and Doug Baumann's 5 colour lozenge (I don't have his 4 colour lozenge). The photos were taken under identical lighting conditions and have not been modified for colour/contrast/saturation etc, only cropped to show similar sized sections.

It is surprising how different the colours are between the various manufacturers. Some are on 'transparent' bases which allows the modeller to vary the base colours to replicate oil staining etc. Some are on white bases which are not transparent. I shall refrain from commenting on the colours as I doubt there is a single definitive answer in existence.

Aren't we spoiled for choice!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:20:45 PM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Update of 1/32 lozenge decal comparison, now with Aviattic decals
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
Thanks Jamo! When it comes time to build my captured Canadian D.VIIs, I'm drawn right off the bat to the Wood & Wire offerings as that linen effect looks so realistic. Some may feel that it's overstated for 1:32 scale, but it sure looks the part to me.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

mike in calif

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 01:08:18 AM »
Thanks Jamo! A great selection to choose from, and I'm sure something to please everybody. So, my first Q: To what extent would the printed fabric have faded? There are of course innumerable discussions about dye batches, contractors, blah,blah,blah, but the variety you've posted sure seems to cover those issues. The W&W sure looks good and I think it would be just the thing in the 'pit. Mix and match upper and lowers and one would sure have variety across a series of machines.

Offline Zabu

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »
Great stuff for we to compare decals Jamo, thx!

Although i'm not a 1/32 scaler i have to say that those W&W and HGW color tones are pretty much resemble.
And yes... i did follow the previous thread about lozenge decals.

I must tell you... i just love that fabric texture in those W&W... i wish i could have those in 1/72 or to make some magic and shrink those beautys .

Cheers

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
Hi All

Is Doug Baumann still producing? If so any contact info?

Cheers

Andrew

Offline JastaB

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:32 AM »
It looks like Doug Baumanns's lozenge was pretty darn good all the while!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »
ive been using dougs stuff exclusively for a few years now.  when he first did the research on the aerodrome back in the day, he got dan san and all the others that had fabric samples to chime in and i think he came up with a great product. he should have taken it the next step and got a decal manufacturer to produce his stuff. sadly(for us) he is a busy guy gone back to school and is hard to get in touch with. he did a batch for me 5 or 6 months ago but i have heard that others havent gotten responses. perhaps since i had gotten so much thru the years he did the favor for me. if you want to try his email addy is [email protected] . the colors are great. they arent translucent nor do they have linen pattern printed over them as is popular now but they do look nice on a model.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:30:21 AM »
Comparison of interior lozenge decals:

Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
I think fabric texture just like wood grain is just a matter of personal taste. Some may argue both might look over-scale and there's valid argument about whether you would really see either on the real aircraft at a distance relative to looking at a scale model (Some distinctive Albatros Ply excepted) but we are building a scale representation of something The impression of textures and grain give life to an otherwise quite inanimate object, they tell the eye what it should be seeing.

I've built with and without and have to say I do like Wood & Wires texture though Aviattic's is just as good but finer and less distinctive it is there and still shows under washes and overcoats. For me the choice will be whichever suits the aircraft I'm planning on doing.

My two-penneths worth and now I'll shut up  ;D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
Comparison of Lower 4 colour decals now includes Wood & Wire above

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:35:46 PM »
I think fabric texture just like wood grain is just a matter of personal taste. Some may argue both might look over-scale and there's valid argument about whether you would really see either on the real aircraft at a distance relative to looking at a scale model (Some distinctive Albatros Ply excepted) but we are building a scale representation of something The impression of textures and grain give life to an otherwise quite inanimate object, they tell the eye what it should be seeing.

I've built with and without and have to say I do like Wood & Wires texture though Aviattic's is just as good but finer and less distinctive it is there and still shows under washes and overcoats. For me the choice will be whichever suits the aircraft I'm planning on doing.

My two-penneths worth and now I'll shut up  ;D

Keith

I totally agree with Keith's comments; there is no runaway winner in this category. We are fortunate to have a choice of several excellent products to cater to our own personal tastes and impressions of what "looks right". I have a stock of WNW Lozenge, have used it with Microsculpt over and also toned it with washes. I like the "look" of the W&W product but am waiting for an order to see it in the flesh. Last, I intend to order a sample of the Aviattic as well. Will I use some of each?......you bet!
      As said above whatever suits the Build and my tastes will be used, having a choice is the key IMHO.
Cheers,
Lance