Author Topic: Any good photos of a DH-2?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline compressor man

Any good photos of a DH-2?
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
Hi Guys, I am new here and am blown away by the quality of modeling I see each time I come to the site. I am also pleased by the friendly tone on the forum. Sometimes this isnt the case in modeling forums  :-\    I have ordered a Roden 1/32 DH-2 and am looking for some really good reference photos. I dont think there is a Squadron walkaround book and I cant even find any good pics on the net with the detail I am wanting. Does anyone have a place to go for some really good shots of this plane?

Chris

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: Any good photos of a DH-2?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
There is a DH2 book from Squadron and the Datafile from Albatros Productions is excellent. For free online you could check out the Wingnut Wings instruction booklet for the DH2 (even better *buy* the WNW DH2)

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »
I agree with Jamo. The Wingnut Wings DH2 instruction book is an excellent reference work in itself and well worth adding to the library. It is available for free download at the Wingnut Wings website here:

http://wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3038&cat=4

Note you can download specific pages or a Pdf of the whole instruction book. Between the WnW instruction booklet and the Windsock Datafile on the DH.2 you are well covered for references.

Also to endorse Jamo, I strongly recommend the Wingnut Wings DH.2 kit, which is far better detailed than the Roden model and in my view, a bit easier for a newcomer than the Roden, which builds into a nice model but lacks the finesse of the WnW kit and definitely trails in the quality of the supplied instructions.

Roden do some nice 1`/32 kits but Wingnuts do them better!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline mc65

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
chris,
I can only totally agree with what has been said so far ... I built the wnw's dh2 as my first kit biplane ever, and it came out decently, if not with honor. then I have assembled an albatross roden, much less complicated as drawing, and I gained an increase of 700% white hair ...

I have both books mentioned, squadron and albatros datafile, but also "only" the wnw's manual it's enough to put together a more than valid dh2.

Offline compressor man

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I would love the WNW kit for the DH-2 but I caught this one on sale for $35 and snatched it up. I am aware of the Squadron book but I believe it is one of the "In Action" books and they dont typically have the real detailed shots that the superb "Walkaround" series do. What is the Windsock or Albatros datafile that was mentioned? I have never heard of this

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence