Author Topic: After the event, what do you derive the most pleasure from?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline N.C.S.E

After the event, what do you derive the most pleasure from?
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:46 PM »
What models do you enjoy looking at the most after they're completed? Are they the ones you've just done or older ones?

This question was prompted by my taking down my old WNW Brisfit (my first WNW kit) for a bit of a repair (it normally is hanging on the roof but I've been getting worried about it so I took it down for some maintenance and my suspicions were confirmed by how the wings were almost falling off the model) and finding that even though it was my worst kit quality wise (less knowledge of techniques etc) I still found it just so much more satisfying to look at then my other kits why are better quality wise but still don't seem to hold a candle to the old Brisfit. Do you chaps feel the same? Do you find some sort of emotional pull from poorer quality but more novel (at the time) aircraft?

Note at bottom: Sorry if this is the wrong section, it just seemed to make a bit more sense since it was dealing with finished models...
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline drdave

Re: After the event, what do you derive the most pleasure from?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:20 AM »
Actually, it's how they look in the photos, when completed, and how the posse appreciate the build,for me. Nothing worse than no comments!

Offline Zabu

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »
Well in my case i guess that i don't have any preferences.

I only have a few ww1 models, but when i'm looking for them i remeber the great times i had putting each one of them together. Ofcourse that some models are more tricky to build, but to be able to finish it gives me a nice feeling and some lessons learned too, having made their contribution to make of me a better modeler... hopefully.

My first ww1 build was back in 2007, a Fokker D.VIIF and it still gives me a great joy everytime a get my hands in that little fellow.

Cheers

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
When shmbo likes what i have done (medoelling-wise), that is the moment i draw my justification from, for spending time on my hobby.

Stefan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
I have only been building 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft for just over three years and have amassed 29 completed models and one 75% completed, to be quite honest I view all my models in the same way. I still remember quite vividly the first WW1 model I built but I also remember every other model I built, the joys, the tribulations, the satisfaction I felt when i finished each model. I love looking at all my models and do a regular inspection, a dust off and some reminiscing, each models holds certain special memories. If I have to pick one particular model not because it is my favorite but because it gave me enormous pleasure building it, it has to be the WNW Bristol F.2b fighter, IMHO still the best kit WNW have produced.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:37:53 AM »
Mine is my Albatros DII (OAW) that I modded and rebuilt from the Encore DII  1/32nd Kit. It was a challenge to pull the information together and the first build I went to town on and detailed up fully. I love the 3 colour camo scheme. It has pride of place in my cabinet.

Keith.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:56:24 AM »
Hello All

Mine is my Eduard 'Brisfit' where getting all the contact points between lower wing, fuselage and upper wing lined up securely and managing the RAF double rigging proved turning points for me.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Procopius

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 07:32:56 AM »
I think my favorite part is removing the masking from a complex scheme...provided I got it right. If not, less exciting!
"Kill the sods, the Hunnerinoes, at all costs. Anywhere and everywhere!"
-- Major Keith "Grid" Caldwell, 74 (Tiger) Squadron

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
For me, it is the visibly evident improvement of my skills on each successive model.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 10:29:14 PM »
My motivation is to attempt to recreate in miniature a long extinct flying machine, and to try to bring this back to life in some form.

It helps me to imagine what these aircraft may once have looked like to those who were alive at the time and to remember that period in history which wiped out the youth of a generation.

Of course the process of building a model is creative and rewarding in itself, but to make it look as close as I can to the real machine is the real challenge and the ultimate reward.

Some of the modellers on this forum create such close likenesses they stand up to the closest scrutiny and it is hard to tell from a photograph (when posed with the correct background) if it is the real thing or not?

I suppose the pleasure is also derived from looking at the works of others and sharing ones own work for critique and improvements for the next build.....

Thanks to Des for providing us with this forum to share and enhance this particular era of our hobby.

Offline xmald

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 06:52:02 AM »
I like this thread very much - a very good idea indeed.
I had 2 come backs to modelling. The first one was after my BA studies when I got a Mitsubishi Zero model for my birthday - I still love this model even though it is rather bad one; the sentimental value is something which is the greatest factor here. I still remember my first models and especially those WWI  ex Aurrora - Smer models, how I wish I could have them back...
The same situation is with my second come back to modelling 3 years ago - I`ve built HMS Beagle (maybe I`ll post some pics of her here someday) and an Airco DH2 by Smer. Even though the pusher`s model is far from good I remember the music I was listening to during the build - Planet P Project - Pink World and all the hard work I put into this model. If I have enough life left I will build another Dh2 in my favourite 48th scale...
Best regards
Filip