Author Topic: Rigging basics.. Please.  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
Rigging basics.. Please.
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
Well i am about to do my first Rigging job on the DR.I that i have been building... I am using Black Mono for the rigging. from what i've read I need to drill micro holes to insert the Mono. I have done the drilling and have ZapCa glued in the mono carefully filling the drill holes with the mono. waiting until tomorrow to insert the other ends of the mono into the opposite holes to anchor them in place, I've opted for pulling the "tag end" of the Mono thru the other hole, Zap CA it and just hold it taunt until the CA glue sets... am I doing this correctly???

I'd be most grateful if the Highly knowledgeable Folks here might offer up helpful tips and tidbits as to rigging on a model.. David/TA 152 mentioned stretch sprues and will probably use that method on the next model .. Any advice or assistance is greatly welcomed by this Newbie... ;D

DEAN ~~~ 8)
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Rigging basics.. Please.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »
  Dean,
Your method of rigging will work just fine my friend. Later on you may want to try your hand at some of the more advance techniques with turn buckles and all. When you feel ready take a look at Des's page for an excellent tutorial on rigging.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

LINK: http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page6.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:57:25 PM by Des »
" What Me Worry"

Offline gcn

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
As the above with the addition that I would leave stretched sprue well alone unless I needed to get my blood pressure raised.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
You've picked a great kit for your first rigging job as the rigging is limited. I've only ever used monofilament myself and I'm pleased with the results I get with it so I can't see myself changing to anything else.

One suggestion you might want to consider when rigging the undercarriage is to ensure that you do it after installing the wheels. I rigged one of my models without the wheels in place and when I installed them after, I ended up with sagging lines. As I was using eyelets to secure my rigging, it was a relatively simple matter of snipping them off, replacing both strands, and pulling them taut to true everything up again, but if you're drilling through and gluing the lines in place, it would be a more difficult repair.

If it's not too late, the only other suggestion I have is that you make your rigging lines extra long as they're so much easier to work with when pulling them taut and gluing them. I always wish that I had more slack to work with, and promptly forget to cut longer lengths the next time around.

Cheers,

Chris
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:27:10 PM by Chris Johnson »
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
If only Mr Fokker made all the scout types........