Author Topic: Vickers 'Bullet' FB-19 Mk. II, 1/72  (Read 5713 times)

Offline xmald

Re: Vickers 'Bullet' FB-19 Mk. II, 1/72
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
A great project mate! I didn`t even know such a plane existed...
Your 72 looks for at least 48  :o
Best regards
Filip

Offline Old Man

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 06:06:11 AM »
Getting into the home-stretch here, friends....

Here are the the major elements painted and decalled:

I decided to take A5231 as my subject: there is not much difference in the service histories of these, all being sent out to the Middle East in June, 1917, those being assigned to No. 14 reaching it in early July, shifting to 111 at its formation in August, and being retired from front-line service around the turn of the year, however, it was a photograph of A5231 seen years ago (printed from a reversed negative, so it all looked like mirror writing) which lodged the idea of someday doing a scratch-build of a Vickers Bullet in my mind.

The windscreen is a from packaging for a set of pencils bought for grandsons' school supplies; they came pre-sharpened, and the tapered ends of the blister are very useful, with a bit of careful trimming.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07:51 AM »
Here the upper wing has been attached....

I did not, after all, use the Camel struts; though correct in length, their profile is wrong. The Vicker's struts have a 'belly', while the fairing on the Camels struts are straight, and all behind the tube. So I made my own.

Putting the wing on was a colossal pain, and I had to discard one set of interplane struts. I wound up making very deep locator holes, which allowed a solid hold of interplane struts with a bit extra at each end to set in the openings. With the wing on by the interplanes, cabane struts were cut to fit the model.

I have used the Camel undercarriage pieces, however. I had a bit of a senior moment, though, and attached them first (as shown in these pictures) just as they came off the sprue. The front legs should have been shortened (and now have been). I expect I shall have to start making planning notes now and then....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »
Here is the main rigging complete (and the undercarriage legs corrected)....

Cabane rigging will be put in with lengths of fine wire, I have a great deal of this blacked for the use, and for the control wires.

I should be able to bring this thing to completion next weekend, not really very much to do left....

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 02:14:36 AM »
  Old Man,
Beautiful work my old friend. Outstanding rigging,weathering,construction and paint.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
She's coming along beautifully Old Man, how you do it in such a small scale is incredible, the rigging looks excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
Lovely little beast O.M. I marvel at what you can accomplish in this scale; I left 1:48 behind because of age related limitations vs. the detail I wanted to achieve, and you're working in 1:72!
Great and unique topic well executed.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
Wonderful!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 03:02:27 AM »
Very good modelling, especially the rigging which I see is double as per the original. Nice to see this in 1/72 as it is so rare - I have largely given it up because I cannot get the wires to stay parallel. I really look forward to seeing the completed model of what is a little known machine. My congratulations on an excellent build.

Offline Zabu

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
Nice work Old Man.

It's incredible to see how a tinny bit pf plastic can be so big. (my king of plastic! hehe)
I salute your double rigging there.

Cheers

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »
Fine craftsmanship and a fascinating choice of subject. How about treating us to what inspires how you choose your modeling subjects?

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »
Nice, OM!  It will be done in on time.  Great to follow this scratch...Dan