WW1 Airshows and Model Shows > Model Shows

IPMS Canada Western Regional Model Contest

(1/3) > >>

lcarroll:
   On the weekend of 01 June I attended the Western Canada IPMS Model Show hosted by IPMS Calgary in Nanton, Alberta. The venue was well chosen, the Bomber Command Museum of Canada which honors the thousands of Canadians who served in Bomber Command in WWII. The trip was well worth the effort just to visit this lovely Museum, a first time for me. In addition to a very impressive collection of memorabilia and "bits and pieces" the Museum houses a number of vintage aircraft including a rebuilt Lancaster. One of the attractions was the start up and engine run of the aircraft, the sound of the Merlins was incredible!

The magnificent granite Memorial to the many who did not return home was an emotional pause................ The slabs with the names of those lost stretch at least 15-20 feet out on either side, an incredibly tragic price paid by a relatively small Country when measured by population at the time.

I will be entering this thread in two or three instalments; first the overall Show and Contest.
    When I last inquired there were just over 600 Entries in all categories. The event was well planned, organised, and hosted with a large Display Area, very well attended Vendors Area, and a well provisioned and staffed Refreshments Venue. I spent almost 10 Hours on site, and didn't have enough time to do all I wished.

A few shots of the Display and Contest Area taken before the crowds........

And approximately one half of the Vendors Area...........

Last, a few shots of some of the artifacts serving as background. (My Brother is the Professional Photographer in the family, I was obviously there without him!)

..........and what would any Canadian Air Museum be without a Harvard? (more then one would be OK too!)

The quality of the Entries was spectacular; just a few photos slightly out of the Wood and Wire Discipline however we all appreciate and admire great modelling skills.

This Diorama took Gold and ultimately Best Aircraft Subject in Show, the photo doesn't do it justice, a magnificent piece of work!

A beautiful "Stang" and a shot of just some of the super detailing. (This took Gold in its' Class and will be featured in one of the major magazines in the near future, I don't recall which one)

Also a Medal Winner......

Some really magnificent detail..............

The AFV Section was the best attended.

And the Ships were magnificent!

Next Post I'll provide a report on the most important part of the event, World War One and Vintage Aircraft!
Cheers,
Lance

pepperman42:
An Airfix Swedish TSR2 in THAT scheme - now thats just crazy!! Looks to be a good show. Is the Lanc a local bird or from Hamilton?

Steve

lcarroll:

--- Quote from: pepperman42 on June 27, 2013, 12:23:35 PM ---An Airfix Swedish TSR2 in THAT scheme - now thats just crazy!! Looks to be a good show. Is the Lanc a local bird or from Hamilton?

Steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,
 The Lanc is a non-airworthy rebuild rescued from a Farmer's field years ago. I should have taken notes however I'll bet you can find her on Google through the Museum as a topic/link. Story is a group of 3-4 farmers bought her after she was flown back from Britain in very late 1945, paid some silly amount like $250 - $500 and "stashed her on a farm outside Nanton. She was transported on the Grid Roads to the Museum Site to be the "Centrepiece" and the local Committee has done a wonderful restoration on her. The prime Sponsor there appears to be WestJet Airline, and I forgot to mention the prime project presently is restoration of a Mosquito, not sure what Mark which is a jointly supported exercise by WestJet and Public Donations. I saw that one, and it's going to be a beauty!
Cheers
Lance

uncletony:
Lance: Great coverage of what looks to have been a memorable event, thanks for sharing!

pepperman42:
Must get there some time. Airworthy or not - 4 Merlins running is impressive.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version