Author Topic: Baking soda technique  (Read 1007 times)

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
Baking soda technique
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:49:42 AM »
Once upon a time, I mentioned I would post a technique I learned using baking soda to simulate cast exhaust on aircraft. Well, I finally decided it was time to post it. Between my surgery, recovery, re-hab, etc... it took a bit, but here we go. This is probably one of the simplest techniques, yet yields some fantastic results. My "specimen du jour" will be the exhaust of a Spitfire MkIX that I've been rebuilding since I wasn't happy with my initial work.

Here you see most of the original paint has been stripped off, and it's ready for work.

I used a scrap of styrene in order to show the concept easier, but basically, mix or select the color you want to use as a base. I prefer Model Master Raw Sienna. As I'll show later, it weathers nicely.

Here's the hard part. While the paint is still wet, sprinkle baking soda on it. After it dries, paint over it again with your base.

Once done, it should look similar to this. Of course, I still have to weather it, but you can see the texture the baking soda leaves in the paint, simulating a cast iron look.

As you can see, I've done some weathering using black chalk and Mig Dark Rust pigment. I've still got a little more to do, but that's the basic idea. I've seen this same technique used with success to simulate cast parts on armor as well. I use it mostly for exhaust, especially exposed systems, such as aircraft and tanks.

Hope this helps!
Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Baking soda technique
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:24:02 AM »
Neat!! I'll add this to my tickle trunk.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mc65

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »
nice!
but still a little rough, on my opinion... have a try with talcum powder! ;)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Great looking Spit, by the way :)

What scale is this?  I can see your technique working very well in the larger scales, or as you say for armour where the rust on cast assemblies can be older and thicker.

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Thanks Ian. The Spit is Tamiya's 1/32 offering. I just realized I never mentioned that. As you stated, it works best on 1/32 aircraft or 1/35 armor. Especially German tanks, as their exhaust systems were mounted fully exposed on the rear bulkhead. A previous post suggested talcum powder. I plan to give that a whirl and see what kind of difference it makes. Another technique I've tried is mixing rust colored pigments into the paint, but it turned into a thick slurry that was almost paste like. I'm sure, if I play with the paint-thinner-pigment ratios I can pull it off.
Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

mike in calif

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
Another method I've used: do a wet coat, and sprinkle "glass bubbles" (used in fiberglass construction) on the surface. they'll soak into the paint and are very fine.