Author Topic: Show us your....SPAD XIII  (Read 12547 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Show us your....SPAD XIII
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2022, 05:41:08 AM »
Bravo Rick, it may be a simple scheme but it looks so good!

Offline MightyHood

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2023, 07:45:50 AM »
Here’s my admittedly lacking attempt at recreating Frank Luke’s #26 using the DML/Dragon 1/48 SPAD XIII Kit.

The only additions that I can recall are some styrene tubing, perhaps some copper wire (cockpit pipes and wiring) and an aftermarket decal set (which turned out to be incomplete, so I had to improvise a wee bit).  EZ line was used for rigging and Mr Colour paints used for the camouflage scheme.  Any wood grain was done using oil over acrylic.  The finish was far too dull/matte in the end.

It was admittedly very rushed, but I’m happy with it anyways though and I guess that’s what counts.  Maybe I’ll try a larger one some day.  Here are some pics:

Thanks for looking!

Frank (MightyHood)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »
Excellent work Frank! I built one of these as a kid and I remember having fun with the etched struts (etch was a very new thing to me... so new that I had no idea how to glue it all together...!). These DML kits were a wonder of awesomeness to me back in the day. You've done cracking job.

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2023, 03:04:23 AM »
Excellent SPAD and one of the Nicest builds of the DML kit I have seen! Great work Frank!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2023, 05:58:18 AM »
I'm at a loss as to how this build is "lacking", Frank - you do yourself a disservice. This is a lovely build of a classic!