Author Topic: First trials  (Read 14060 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: First trials
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2013, 07:02:18 AM »
Chin up, Patrick!
Tomorrow is another build  ;)

Good luck!
Von Buckle VC & Bar Bar

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
Thank you very much Bob, right you are, tomorrow is another day and another build. Your support is highly appreciated!  :)
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »
So sorry to hear of the problems you encountered builiding your beautiful model, what you had achieved up to that point was excellent. Put this down to a learning experience and go ahead with the knowledge you have gained from this exercise. I am looking forward to following your next build which I feel will be brilliant.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:50 PM »
Dear Des, thank you! Indeed it was a pleasant experience and i enjoyed it a lot. I will never reach the master perfection which many of the people on the forum have, but trying to do the best one can and being among all these gentle people is certainly a big gain for me.

Patrick

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
Hi all,

Before throwing the SE5a in the garbage can, I again tried fixing the upper wing. I replaced and redid all the pre-rigging of the wings first. As almost all the struts were broken, I cut off the original ends (if they were still there, because most of them were glued in the original holes and broken off there) of the struts and tried to insert brass tubes in it (as my friend Bud suggested). Sometimes I was unable to find the original marks were the struts should be glued in. So, little by little, I got the upper wing installed, though not well aligned. I was totally discouraged and the rigging was a massacre. So there’s were I am at the moment. It’s been the Via Dolorosa for me, but it is to nice a kit and a plane to throw away. I will do the rigging of the u/c and ailerons and the painting of the wheels and install the Lewis gun on the upper wing and clean up a bit the awfull mess I made. Later on I might start another tripe because I really like the plane very much – that is if I decide to continue my struggle against my poor eyesight, because I will ruine kit after kit if I don’t get a solution.
Thank you for stopping by.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »
Patrick,
   That looks like a pretty respectable recovery to me; what sort of brass tube did you use for the struts, it looks like a product called "Strutz" that I've used before? I also really like the colour on the exhaust, what paint(s) did you use there? I'd finish up the repairs as you stated and add Her to the display shelf!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2014, 12:07:57 AM »
Thank you Lance, you are to kind! I used what I had, so its a hollow brass tube of 0,4 mm (griffon). The struts are so tiny and I drilled a 0,4mm hole and pressed the tubes in it. The exaust is painted with Tamiya "Hull Red" (Tamiya XF9). I'll post a photo later to show you how bad the aligment is. Anyway thank you Lance for the encouragement.

Kind regards
Patrick

guitarlute101

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »

I agree with Lance, great work on the fixes Patrick. I think she looks great!

Mark

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:01 AM »
Thank you so much Mark! Here is what she really looks like :

O dear!

O dear!

O dear!

Thank you friends for giving me hope.

Kind regards
Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »
Patrick,
First and foremost I admire your perseverance in going back and repairing this one! I had a similar accident with my Roden SE and gave up and scrapped it for parts! So even if the alignment is off a little you have done well and learned that it is possible to overcome adversity! Please keep modeling as your work is getting better all of the time!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2014, 02:02:44 AM »
Dear Rick,

Thank you my friend for your continued encouragements and your much appreciated advice. I learned a lot from you already. It wasn't much of a joy at first to continue were I had stopped, more even take a few steps backwards. But I wanted so much finish it in whatever state, and I am glad I did. Rigging errors I made on this one, I hope I will not make again on future models, so I hope she will prove to be a new good learning experience. Thank you my friend!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2014, 02:50:54 AM »
Hello Patrick:

I certainly feel your pain with the SE5!  Your perseverance to continue on is noteworthy and you are doing a respectable job of patching it up.  It may not be perfect, but; no model is.  This will be one you can look at with admiration and say that you learned a lot from it.  In spite of it's "Easy" single seat appearance, it is a very difficult model and a more difficult model to rig.  My ruined Gotha is still on the shelf.  I scavange parts off of it and when I do another one it will be the basis for that.  Don't toss your parts, hang on to them and if and when you decide to do another SE5 you will have this experience to build on and you will be surprised at how easy it really is.  Get a few more under your belt and you will do just fine.
Good luck Patrick

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2014, 03:03:02 AM »
Patrick, I applaud you for your perseverance! I don't think the SE5 looks bad at all,
certainly salvageable and you have done well doing just that.  My advice, for what
it's worth is to work on it as long as you feel good about it...there are many good things
you have done with it already, so please don't junk it.  Even if you don't want to continue,
stick the prop and wheels on and put it up on your model shelf.  It has taught you many
things and you will see how you have advanced as a modeller.  A bit rambley, but hopefully
it will encourage you, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2014, 03:24:22 AM »
Dear Patrick,

I would want to echo the words and sentiments of Ernie, Mark and Rick. Ours can be a hobby of great frustration and we probably all have our examples of things that didn't go as planned. In my case the worst example relates to a 1/350 scale HMS Hood which cost me a lot of money and I have managed to effect significant warping to the bow.

But look back on what you have achieved ahead of the problems. It's a learning experience and through this wonderful forum you will receive the support of friends and modellers at all levels of ability.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2014, 04:14:52 AM »
Dear Mark, Ernie and Nigel,

As usual you are there to give courage, advice and hope. Even if in the future I should stop doing this lovely hobby because of age, I would never leave the forum, because I never had so many friends in such a short time, even without seeing them and being far far away. But I will finish the SE5a the best I can and then concentrate on the Nieuport (still waiting for the chair but I'm patient). And I know all of you will be there again to support and advice me. And that is 50% of my hobby, the contact with you all.

Kind regards and THANK YOU

Patrick