Author Topic: The Vintage Aviator Ltd ANZAC Day airshow, Saturday 27th April 2013  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Airshow is scheduled for tomorrow over at Hood Aerodrome. Weather is a bit iffy, fine but with strong northwesterly winds easing later in the day. I will post some photos tomorrow night (~24 hours from now).
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: The Vintage Aviator Ltd ANZAC Day airshow, Saturday 27th April 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:00:32 AM »
  James,
Looking forward to seeing your photo of the air show my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the photos James, it was a pity that it was windy though which stopped the new Snipe getting into the air.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »
It has taken me a while to process the photos - amazing how many similar photos you get when burst mode is on 5 shots per second. This ANZAC Day airshow was affected by wind, sadly. The Stampe & Tiger Moth kicked off with the 'Ribbon Cut' where they drop a roll of toilet paper and then endeavour to fly through the ribbon as many times as possible before it gets too close to the ground. This was followed by the Pfalz DIII movie queen and Nieuport Bebe. Then 3 SE5a fought 3 Fokker Triplanes and were later joined by the Camel. The P40, which is based at Hood, put on a lovely display, always impressive. Fokker DVII and two Fokker DVIII also flew.

Unfortunately the new Snipe was a no show, not even as a non-flying display, same for both Fees, Bristol Fighter, RE8, both Albatros DVa, both Pups and both BE2, so virtually all of the stars were not present  :'(. Show finished 30 min early. Apart from the weather, the only thing that could have been improved for me was the commentary which was very loud and rambled a bit at times. Sometimes the planes speak for themselves.

I had been hoping the newly registered Albatros D.II reproduction might have been a surprise star, but it was not ready. Maybe November? I am sure it is one of Koloman Mayrhofer's reproductions so it will be very exciting when it is unveiled publicly. Patience young grasshopper . . .

I tried the shutter priority setting on my camera for the first time, in an effort to get blurred props, but unfortunately I ended up overerexposing quite a few flying shots because I didn't notice the exposure setting was all in red on the screen (speed set too slow for even the smallest aperture). It all happens so quickly when the planes are flying past, even at the low speeds of the WWI types. I'll do better next time.

Anywayhere are a few photos to give a flavour of the day

The Bebe put up a huge cloud of castor oil when it started up:

Its always instructive to see how the castor oil coats the airframe after a flight

Then it was the three SE5A's turn

Then the Camel joined in the scrap

Check out the exhaust staining under the fuselage of the Camel (which has seen a lot of flying over the years)

More to follow
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:17:22 AM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »

Notice the colour of the exhaust pipe

In the merchandise tent there was a chap selling leather flying helmets and some 'steampunk' fashion hats. He worked at Weta Workshops alongside the chap who did the Dr Grordbort ray guns.

The TVAL folk were selling WNW kits on behalf and I noticed they had two LVG kits still for sale (and may not have been sold on the day either). Cool T shirts, Ghost calendars, postcards and other stuff.

I had a great day out with my 13 year old daughter Rosie

Now I just need to wait patiently until the TVAL season starts again in late November.

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:35:33 PM »
Absolutely fantastic pictures, you are a master James.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »
Beautiful pictures, James. Thanks for posting. Catching the prop laminations in flight is pretty cool.

Who owns that Camel?

Lindsay

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:01:51 AM »
I always love your airshow pictures. They are both artistic and informative. The steampunk kit is an interesting add-on to this event. It seems this genre is rising above a cult status. Nice parting shot of the "Long Legged Giant Shadow Folk" too!!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:02:26 AM »
  James,
Wow you've done it again my old friend! Outstanding photography of a collection of outstanding subjects. I got a real kick from the first photos of the Bebe's start ups cloud of castor oil smoke. I knew the old rotaries were somewhat less than clean running but until now didn't know they were this bad. Hopefully plenty of Port O Potty's were near by and plentiful. Anyway thanks again my old friend. Your work will always be greatly appreciated by all.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 05:22:25 AM »
Beautiful pictures, James. Thanks for posting. Catching the prop laminations in flight is pretty cool.

Who owns that Camel?

Lindsay
The Camel is owned by The Vintage Aviator Ltd which is a subsidiary company ultimately owned by Sir Peter Jackson.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »
  James,
Wow you've done it again my old friend! Outstanding photography of a collection of outstanding subjects. I got a real kick from the first photos of the Bebe's start ups cloud of castor oil smoke. I knew the old rotaries were somewhat less than clean running but until now didn't know they were this bad. Hopefully plenty of Port O Potty's were near by and plentiful. Anyway thanks again my old friend. Your work will always be greatly appreciated by all.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory
The rotaries don't continue to emit clouds of castor oil like this, it settles down a bit after the motor has been running a short while.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:54:35 AM »
  James,
Thank you point well taken. It makes perfect sense the volume of smoke would be the result of the castor oil and fuel left behind in the cylinder burning off at start up. Still in all the volume of smoke does surprise me though. I've seen the engine start up recently of a B-17 and a B-24 all eight of those big Pratt-Whitney's sure did belch smoke but didn't seems to be as great of volume as the Bebe. Keep up the grand works my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 08:14:02 AM »
Thank you James for posting this great selection of photos, you really captured the feel of the airshow for us who could not attend. I am surprised at how clean the underside of the DR.1 is unlike the Camel.

Gregory - All radial engines accumulate oil in the bottom cylinders when they have been sitting for a while, this causes the large amounts of smoke on start-up but it clears quite quickly and all cylinders run clean, still, it is an impressive sight to see all that smoke.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Vickers

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 08:52:21 AM »
Thank you for posting your fantastic photographs!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
Thank you James for posting this great selection of photos, you really captured the feel of the airshow for us who could not attend. I am surprised at how clean the underside of the DR.1 is unlike the Camel.

Gregory - All radial engines accumulate oil in the bottom cylinders when they have been sitting for a while, this causes the large amounts of smoke on start-up but it clears quite quickly and all cylinders run clean, still, it is an impressive sight to see all that smoke.

Des.

Hi Des
All the Fokker DrI planes are fitted with modern radial engines so no castor oil residue. I think the cowling shape is also bit extended as a consequence. They are not particularly authentic but still put on a good show. I don't think TVAL made any of them, they were acquired years ago as a quick start to the collection.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey