Author Topic: Need help with Sopwith Triplane seat  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Seawinder

Need help with Sopwith Triplane seat
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
Does anybody have a drawing or photograph? I'm starting the Eduard 1/48 Black Flight kit, which only supplies an injected seat. I've bought an Eduard PE set of WW1 seats, but the only Sopwith one is for the Pup. Also, what was the seat made of? The Shuttleworth restoration pictures elsewhere at this site look like a solid (not wicker) material painted black. Is that the way I should go?

Thanks!
Pip Moss

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Need help with Sopwith Triplane seat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
Does anybody have a drawing or photograph? I'm starting the Eduard 1/48 Black Flight kit, which only supplies an injected seat. I've bought an Eduard PE set of WW1 seats, but the only Sopwith one is for the Pup. Also, what was the seat made of? The Shuttleworth restoration pictures elsewhere at this site look like a solid (not wicker) material painted black. Is that the way I should go?

Thanks!
Pip Moss

It would seem that the seat was a metal bucket-type seat painted black. There is a faithful repro in the shuttleworth collection. There are photos of the seat in the WNW tripe kit manual which you can view and download from their site.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
alot of tripes had the armored metal seat like you describe. some had wicker. it depends on the craft although i know of no good way to know which had which.all you can do is read and check out all the info and photos avail for whatever subject you wish to model and see if you can find anything. otherwise just paint your im seat black and go with that. noone can say its wrong.

Offline Seawinder

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
Many thanks, gentlemen! I was at the WNW site, but didn't look in the right place. I'll try again.
Pip

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »
When I was building the seat for my 1/3 scale version I spent a lot of time investigating and studying whicker seats and how to make them.  It took me sometime to realise that in general, the whicker seats came later in the Camel and Snipe etc. which was counter-intuative to me as I thought the metal seats would be a later development.   I have yet to find a single refererence to a whicker seat in a Tripehound.   That made it a lot easier :)

My drawings which might be of use but if you use them remember to scale them otherwise it might turn out a be a bit big!

Alan

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:40:58 PM by Pup Cam »