Author Topic: Technology questions  (Read 1181 times)

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
Technology questions
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:35 AM »
Hi all,

One of the ways I try to create a convincing diorama is through technical, (or as my wife calls it, "anal"  :)), research. So I come with a few questions as Ipatiently await the arrival of my kit and aftermarket.

Are there any good magazines or books targeted specifically to the WWI model genre?

What, exactly, was used as the cloth covering? I would assume a sort if canvas or burlap.

Was factory paint sprayed on, brushed on, or dyed into the fabric, or wood?

Was the rigging painted, bare metal that got rusty, or was it covered in oil/grease to protect it?

I'm sure I'll have many more, but this is how I initiate my dioramas. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Technology questions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:54:42 AM »
Hi Joe,

Are there any good magazines or books targeted specifically to the WWI model genre?

Start here:
Albatros Productions / Windsock Magazine and Datafiles. The datafiles are the go-to reference for most builders here.

WWI Aero is a great if sometimes eclectic resource.

Over the Front is the magazine of the League of WWI Aviation Historians.

Osprey has a number of useful titles, mostly unit histories and the like, but useful for research.

What, exactly, was used as the cloth covering? I would assume a sort if canvas or burlap.

Linen, a kind of canvas. Stretched over wood and/or metal structure and "doped" to make it taut and waterproof.

Was factory paint sprayed on, brushed on, or dyed into the fabric, or wood?

All of the above!, depending.  Early on, both sides simply doped the linen with a clear nitro dope -- thus CDL or "Clear Doped Linen" as it is referred to today. After about mid-1916-ish(?) the British started finishing the upper surfaces of their aircraft in "PC-10" (Protective Coating #10) which was painted on. The exact color of which is the subject of endless, if mostly friendly, debate.   French aircraft were variously finished in silver colored dope, tan dope or various camouflage patterns which seem to have been brushed on. Check your sources. The most variation was found in German aircraft, which varied considerably by manufacturer. Albatros fighters were delivered with varnished  plywood fuselages and camouflaged wings and tail surfaces of several colors and patterns, which appear to have been sprayed most often.  About mid-1917 the germans started using Flugstoff, pre-printed camouflaged fabric with a geometric pattern that today is (somewhat erroneously) referred to as lozenge.

Was the rigging painted, bare metal that got rusty, or was it covered in oil/grease to protect it?

Generally nothing lasted long enough to get rusty, but in most cases the fittings would have been plated or painted to ward off corrosion.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:17:39 AM by Bo Monroe »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:17:49 AM »
  Joe,
Windsock Magazine and Datafiles are the best in IMHO.
* The covering is Linen
* The factory painted camouflage could be either hand painted or sprayed depending on the manufacturer and time period during the War. Check your references carefully. Examples: Early Fokkers were brush painted in a streaked pattern on both the fuselage and the wings just as the Dr.I Triplane was. Later on the use of printed camouflage fabric became the norm.

The Early Roland aircraft come to mind as an excellent example of sprayed camouflage for both the fuselage and wings.

As for the rigging painting I must admit that I don't know for certain,but would assume that the wires were painted or wrapped the fabric then painted.
I hope this little bit of information is helpful to you my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:39:03 AM »
IIRC your project is going to be a WNW Alb. D.V. If so, you might find the references listed in the first couple of posts in this build log useful.

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »
Thanks for all the info. It helps, (me, anyway), to know certain things in order to help in the weathering process. Considering this will be the first military machine I've ever built that was assembled from an assortment of different materials, I figure the more I know, the better the accuracy.  :)

And you are correct, Bo, I will be building the Alb D.V, so those build logs have helped tremendously, not to mention all the tutorials on the home page that I have been reading over and over!  :o
Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"