Author Topic: Albatros D.V inspection hatches  (Read 1761 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Albatros D.V inspection hatches
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:23:05 AM »
What's the consensus on the the large rear, inboard, inspections hatches on the D.V lower wing (and the outers, for that matter)? Were they also anachronisms carried over from the D.III, or were they omitted? Always? Sometimes?

WNW is quite explicit in its revisionism regarding the outer pulley inspection hatches:

But what about these hatches? The drawings in the latest datafiles omit them and the outers too...:

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Albatros D.V inspection hatches
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:46:27 AM »
Bo, after studying all of the photos and drawings in the NASM book on the restoration of "Stropp", I would say that most, if not all, D.Va's had those access panels.  Still checking on D.V's.  Back in a flash.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:51:45 AM »
Okay, Bo.  Photo 62 on page 25 of Datafile 151 clearly shows those panels on a D.V.  I think they are spar attachment inspection panels, so it would matter if it were a D.III or D.V or D.Va.  Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 06:23:22 AM »
Thanks Bud for doing my homework for me :o :)  Nice to have an extra pair of eyes, I missed that photo...

The way I understand it, the DVa and D.III wings are essentially identical and interchangeable, because the D.Va reverted to the aileron cables routed thru the lower wings. All this leaves me curious as to where the idea of deleted inspection panels (for non-existent cables) come from? Was it just an assumption?

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »
I think the assumption was that it was a cable inspection panel, hence no need on the D.V.  But, after examining so many contemporary photos as well as NASM and TVAL photos, I'm convinced it was for spar inspection.  I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.  Whatever the case, there are photos of both types with those panels in place.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »
I think the assumption was that it was a cable inspection panel, hence no need on the D.V.  But, after examining so many contemporary photos as well as NASM and TVAL photos, I'm convinced it was for spar inspection.  I may be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.  Whatever the case, there are photos of both types with those panels in place.
Cheers,
Bud

Makes sense to me, and I'm happy that I don't have to remove them on my D.V :)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
Now they tell me!? Oh well, their absence on my DV won't show too much.
Cheers,
Lance :'(

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
Lower wings were supposedly interchangable so likely would have all the hatches needed for the D.Va and WNW issued the correction to the instructions, I'm sure however some didnt have the outer ones, sods law dictates that fact.
Saying that, before the D.Va came on the scene perhaps they were dropped and reinstated later in production.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
Cheers,
Bud

Makes sense to me, and I'm happy that I don't have to remove them on my D.V :)

And I am happy, I have not removed them on mine.  ;)

Thanks for this eye-opening discussion!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.