Author Topic: Rafwires - to do or not to do?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Le Taureau qui rit

Rafwires - to do or not to do?
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »
Just wondering what the consensus is on Rafwires (ie flat profile bracing wires).

I am aware that RB have produced various sets to allow one to represent the flat wires but I've also seen a view expressed in one or two places that the successful use of them is likely to be rather tricky. The difficulty getting the wire length bang on and also the high risk of ending up with a flat plate wire orientated so that the flat face is facing to "windward" are just two potential problems that I can think of off the top of my head.

In all honesty is the use of circular section bracing material (ie monofilament fishing wire) as opposed to flat profile actually really noticeable in 1/32, and if so, what methods can anyone recommend to simulate Rafwires?

D.

Offline rhallinger

Re: Rafwires - to do or not to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »
I agree with your concerns, and I think that in this scale it really isn't noticeable, but that's just my opinion.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
There has been a lot of controversy over the use of the aerodynamic wires on 1:32 scale models. The visual difference between the flat wires versus the round wires when viewed from a short distance would not be noticeable. There has been quite a few modelers attempt to fit the flat wires and many have had failures, getting the wires the exact length, fixing problems, sagging over time or during temperature fluctuations, obtaining the correct tension and the chance of the flat wires deforming when handling the model. I have read a lot of reports from modelers who have tried to use the flat wires and all have reverted back to monofilament. Somebody will come up with an easy to follow step by step tutorial for fitting flat wires, until such time I will be sticking with my mono.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
I'm sticking with mono as I find it (relatively) easy to work with and it adds a sense of realism to the model by adding rigidity to the structure.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »
   I have an assortment of them bought some time ago. Given the comments I've seen and examination of them I've decided that mono is the way to go unless, similar to what Des said, a miracle method comes along.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »
Just based on the number of aborted threads from PE wire I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Prym knit in elastic has a flat profile that is easier to use but to be honest in that scale anything will do unless your about 1cm away.

Offline Le Taureau qui rit

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm in pretty much same position as lcarroll, having got some of the PE Rafwires a while ago and similarly I really can't help thinking that as things stand mono is the best solution. I'm not too keen on the idea of the elastic bracing wires as I have doubts whether even the best elastic bracing would retain tension over a period of time, not to mention that the altering the tension of the elastic would alter the cross section. With that in mind, monofilament seems a better choice (particularly when the monofilament can also be used to provide a little extra structural integrity).

I may be getting into the realms of fantasy but I can't help thinking that what we need is a product which is something like a flattened section monofilament - ie a flat section line which is comes on a reel and can be used just like we use normal monofilament. That should be easier to use than photo-etched sets and would also be more structurally sound (and less likely to degrade over time) than elastic too. Just a thought...

D.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
Both EZ Line and the WNW elastic thread are flat in profile, however when a bit of tension is applied they go almost round.  I have tried both, and are very forgiving.  If you're careful not to tension the rigging too much, the structure will not deform.  Plus the elasticity allows parts to be rigged in advance before glueing ie top to bottom wing, with struts pre rigged.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
Reading how difficult these wires must be to use correctly, it also poses a challenge to try to do it right. I have a Sopwith Pup waiting to be build so...

But I think I do understand the difficulties. I just have some experience with EZ line for control wires at the rudder, elevator and ailerons and here I could use the clipped needle, which was a great help and worked out fine.

Perhaps though I should order a set of RB wires and have a go at it and let you share in my problems  ;)

regards,
Ivo

Dekenba

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »
Don't use PE rigging- it's a nightmare.

WNW's flat rigging line - which is basically knicker elastic - offers the easiest solution (other than using mono filament for all the wiring).

Offline kinnies

• Biggles flies low
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
Hi all,
There is a recent build on LSP of DH-2 that explains how he used flat Prym thread to great effect.
Cheers,
John

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
I have no experience with flat rigging, but I would be afraid of twisting the line. I would probably make it look like a Twizzlers candy!

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
Monofilament can be easily flattened by pulling it through a pair of circlip pliers-the type with the round ends like those in the link below-a few times.
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_pliers-circlip-trojan-175mm-ext-bent-tju1015_P6010401.aspx?filter=categoryname--Pliers
Grab the line with the thicker section just below the tips,it's easy to snap the mono initially but becomes easy after a little practice.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline gcn

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
I have no experience with flat rigging, but I would be afraid of twisting the line. I would probably make it look like a Twizzlers candy!

You don't notice it unless you've twisted it about 100 times