Author Topic: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale  (Read 20693 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Huck Starter build 1:32 scale
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
The 1:12 scale detail aftermarket chain set arrived and I have started work with the assembly, this is a link by link, roller by roller assembly. The size is probably a tad over scale for my Huck Starter but it will do the job nicely and will look the part. The photos show the first section of chain, this is how much that can be made with the jig supplied, there is enough material to make eight sections, I will probably need five for my Huck starter.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2013, 04:52:41 AM »
That looks the part!!  - Pretty much like the real thing!! How do they all stay together?

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »
The rollers in each link extend past the outer plate on both sides, the jig comes with a guide which fits over the chain allowing the small pins to protrude through the guide, once all set up it is a simple matter of lightly hitting the pins to flatten them slightly, as the chain is sitting on a hard surface the pin on the opposite side flattens as well, this will lock the plates in place and allow the chain to move freely, it the pins are hit too hard the chain will become tight.

This photo shows the size of the rollers and the different sizes to fit the side plates, these are precisely made and the with the inner and outer plates having a different size hole they fit the shaped rollers perfectly.

Des.

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
Wow Des, that chain is amazing!

Superb stuff.

Alan

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »
Wow!! That is delicate work. You've done a magnificent job!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2013, 01:59:43 AM »
   Good eye and a steady hand. Very impressive work Des. Looking forward to seeing the chain installed.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »
To work with such small parts, you must have the dexterity of a brain surgeon Des. Incredible.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 02:50:20 AM »
To work with such small parts, you must have the dexterity of a brain surgeon Des. Incredible.

Cheers,

Chris
...or a watch maker!  Brilliant stuff, Des.  Can't wait to see it installed.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
After a very long drawn out affair the Huck Starter is finally finished. The 1:12 scale Top Studio Motor bike roller chain  is now fitted, assembly of the chain is very time consuming and extremely fiddly. The chain is slightly over scale for my vehicle but it is as close as I could find, near enough is good enough in this case. The entire chain has been painted with Mr Metal Color Stainless and lightly buffed.

A full build log of this vehicle can be found on my website -  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page40.html

Des.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:26:33 AM by Des »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »
  Des,
The chain and drive are magnificent my old friend. Overall an outstanding project which I'm certain will become part of an awesome diorama shortly.
Congratulations and Well Done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:03 AM »
What a wonderful project this has been.  I've enjoyed following and am delighted that you were finally able to find an appropriate chain.  I don't think it looks over scale, just...er...robust!  The overall effect is brilliant.  Superb craftsmanship from beginnig to end.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2013, 07:24:16 AM »
Great wrap on this one Des!! The chain looks the part and it was an impressive piece of construction.

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »
I can well imagine the eye strain involved in assembling this chain. I tip my hat to you for having the perseverance to track it down and put it all together. It really sets off the model and was well worth the effort. Good job!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
Knowing the work you have put into this scratch build Des the result is outstanding and the chain looks really authentic. We who cannot scratch build are in awe of your talents.

This would make for a wonderful diorama with the Huck starter connected to a WNW model and some suitable ground crew figures.

Outstanding work !

Kindest regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2013, 05:11:19 AM »
Very nice indeed Des.

In these days of Health and Safety I reckon an inspector would have a field day with that chain thrashing around your legs!

Alan