Author Topic: Garuda Propellers  (Read 1634 times)

Offline gcn

Garuda Propellers
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:56:33 AM »
Whilst I still have the tail end (pun intended) of the rigging on my DH2 to complete I am definitely on the final stages of that build so naturally I start contemplating the next build.

I'm almost certain it will be the E.iii and that I will do Udets scheme. I have a fanciful idea about attempting to carve my own propeller as I've never been truly happy with the outcome of my plastic props whether they are painted or drawn with pencils. Looking at the profile for the Garuda prop in the Fokker compedium it shows it in a single colour not too dissimilar to the RFC ones, which I am happy to do with oils. So the Question is did these props so distinct laminations or not.

However my carving attempts will probably involve me starting with a lump of wood the size of a Giant Redwood and the end product something resembling a toothpick.

Offline Steven Robson

Re: Garuda Propellers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
Carving your own?

I just got delivery of laminated wooden Garuda propellers from The Micro Group.

They are the best I've seen.

Why not go for the real deal?

Cheers
Steven
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
You could always contact Doug Crane as well, he makes brilliant hand made laminated wood propellers at a very fair price. There is a review of his propellers on the forum plus he has a shop on the forum as well which gives a good range of his propellers, he also does one off commissions.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
I'd like to try some of Doug Crane's propellers as well.

I need one for my Rumpler C.IV

I found that my model making went up a notch when I started using laminated wooden props.

Supporting Des' website and its participants is always a good thing.

Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline gcn

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
I've seen Dougs propellers and you are correct they are excellent and for the labour that goes into them represent good value,  but i'm sure you understand this Des there is a far greater degree of satisfaction obtained from creating something from scratch as opposed to buying something ready made. If that wasn't the case then we would all stop at diecasts.

It could be an absolute failure but the wood has cost me £3.50 and I have all the tools already so all that is lost is time, if it transpires wood and I dont mix then I can always resort to plan B.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:32:53 AM »
from what ive read the early fokker props did not show the distnct laminations like the later german props. they were in fact laminated but the reason mainly was because  early on they stained the props. also i believe they were mahogony. later on the germans couldnt get the mahogony so they went with other woods which they alternated in the laminations. this combined with skipping the staining step gave later german props the light/dark laminatted look. at least thats what i have gathered.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
I've seen Dougs propellers and you are correct they are excellent and for the labour that goes into them represent good value,  but i'm sure you understand this Des there is a far greater degree of satisfaction obtained from creating something from scratch as opposed to buying something ready made. If that wasn't the case then we would all stop at diecasts.

It could be an absolute failure but the wood has cost me £3.50 and I have all the tools already so all that is lost is time, if it transpires wood and I dont mix then I can always resort to plan B.

Hey GCN,
   You may be on it already but I have a "how to" on Hand Carved Wooden Props in the Hints and Tips/Questions Department here. Doug's props are truly magnificent (certainly the best I've seen) however since I've been making my own for some time, and agree with your quoted "philosophy" regarding creating something from scratch, I too will be doing my own. Just wanted to make sure you knew of the how to thread, if one tiny thing there helps I'll feel gratified!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gcn

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »
Thanks Lance, I wasn't aware there was a how to here I will certainly check that out.

It looks like my carving skills will be on ice though as there is a rather clear picture of Udets e.iii in the WNW instructions right next to the profile that shows the prop in all its glory and any variations in tones are indistinguishable. So ill paint it this time.

I mean what a stupid place to put the ideal reference picture.  :-[