Author Topic: Udet's Fokker D-7  (Read 1589 times)

Offline SandyOne

Udet's Fokker D-7
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »
Does anyone know for sure if Udet's Fokker D-7 painted in the red and white stripes, was Fokker built or OAW or ALB?

I have the Wingnuts Fokker D-7 Fokker version and hope that is the correct version.

Offline rowan broadbent

Re: Udet's Fokker D-7
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
Hello O Sandy one!

The commonly known one with Du Doch Nicht!! on the elevators had a white striped top wing but whether that was red and white or black and white (or possibly even dark green and white...) is still open to debate, as is its origin which is usually given , as Red Baron says, as an early OAW one - although this remains largely conjecture, I think. That one only lasted a short couple of weeks before being shot down and it was certainly replaced by an OAW product which was marked with the Lo! insignia on a camouflaged fuselage and which may or may not have had a striped top wing - photo record seems unclear on this, but the superb repro flying at La Ferte Alais in France (actually BMW powered...) certainly does have that marking.

The other and later version, without the slogan or the striped top wing but with an overall red fuselage was a BMW engined Fokker D.VIIF 4253/18. For a fascinating description of the possible markings of "Du Doch Nicht!!" see the article "The Importance of being Erni's" in the Windsock D.VII Anthology 2.

We will be providing markings for the Du Doch Nicht machine and its successor shortly, together with two or three other Jasta 4 D.VIIs.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:55:16 AM by rowan broadbent »
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline miamiangler

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
From what I thought he flew 4 different Fokker D

VII and an Albatros
                                    Willi

Online petrov27

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »

We will be providing markings for the Du Doch Nicht machine and its successor shortly, together with two or three other Jasta 4 D.VIIs.

Ha - shoot I guess I shoulda figured DDN would get decals done professionally quick! I have been trying to do the art to get decals created but I guess I will hold off now. Below is as far as I got - I know that pic isn't "DDN" but I figured the style of LO! could/would be similar:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:28:04 PM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline Jasta300

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 05:39:44 AM »
 A batch of OAW built D.VII  serialled consecutively in the 2060-2070s were delivered to Jasta 4 on 13 June 1918   - Jasta 4 war diary via AE Ferko

Online petrov27

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
I've done a fair amount of reading of old arguments (search the aerodrome forum) on this particular aircraft since I also wish to build it - it appears that the manufacturer of the Du Doch Nicht!! aircraft is one of the points open to debate.
-Patrick

Offline BoRoss78

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:42:39 AM »
DDN red fuselage & candy stripe top wing was an Early Schwerin Fok.D.VII.  His reserve machine was an OAW D.2076/18 in all over lozenge.  According to Greg VanWyngarden and Dan Abbott.
Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!"