Author Topic: Pegasus 1/72 Roland VIb  (Read 2435 times)

Offline djuggie

Re: Pegasus 1/72 Roland VIb
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2024, 04:54:22 AM »
June 7, 2024

Took a little time off to experiment with rib tapes with a felt tip pen.  Nothing worked.  So, out came the decal sheet and hours of modelling enjoyment, one piece at a time.  The results are acceptable.  The undercarriage was fabricated and attached.  A little off, but again, acceptable.

Drilling holes for the rigging and control lines and then attaching the top wing is next.  Not an easy kit but progress is being made.

Dennis

Offline WD

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2024, 05:03:17 AM »
Looking good! Continue to march troop!

Warren

Offline djuggie

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2024, 01:23:01 PM »
June 8, 2024

The top wing is now installed and the cabanes are in place.  I made them one piece at a time so I knew they would fit.  As I neared this segment, I discovered I bought two Roland MAC kits and inside the second box was a Pegasus kit.  What my plan was, those brain cells have long ago passed away.  But I know have another Pegasus Roland 6b.  Yippee!!

The rigging is next with touch up painting in numerous places.  If you want to find your flaws, that close up photo of your kit.  The rigging of the VI will be very easy and there is a possibility I can have it completed tomorrow.

Dennis

Online Rick_H

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2024, 05:29:15 PM »
I thoroughly appreciate your "hours of enjoyment", dealing with the rib tape decals.  My Shelf of Doom is littered with planes with 35-65% of the rib tapes in place, when I finally lost interest in the build.  I was hoping your felt tip pen would be a solution that could get me past that point.

Well, whatever it says about my efforts, your Roland is looking great.
Rick in Seattle

Offline NigelR

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2024, 06:24:48 PM »
Well done Dennis. I know from experience that applying individual rib tapes in 1/72 is quite challenging. She's looking good and coming together well, not much to do now....

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2024, 06:44:33 PM »
Looking great Dennis! Nice work on quite a tricky kit. Great to see these subjects being tackled!

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2024, 01:07:45 AM »
Brilliant work in this scale.
And having just made huge demands on my dwindling stock of zen calm, applying rib tapes (and only in 1:32)... Massive empathy  ;)

Mark

Online Davos522

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2024, 02:52:33 AM »
Another gem in the making, Dennis. Always loved these aeroplanes, ever since seeing one in the Munson Fighters book (the first reference book I ever bought) a lifetime or so ago.

Dutch

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2024, 06:19:38 PM »
This will be a very attractive model of a very attractive plane!
And there are more attractive schemes....

Joachim

Offline djuggie

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2024, 12:18:43 AM »
June 11, 2024

It is done.  Still have a little touch up to do but I must get it off my table at this time.

This was a very difficult kit.  One reason is I built the kit using 1985 technology.  The kit is out of the box with the exception of the prop which was replaced with another Pegasus prop that was more accurate. None of the surfaces were thinned so they are out of scale.  The modification was drilling out the entire interior to add some interior detail and an engine.  If I were to this again, I would have added the cockpit interior and closed it up.  I would have then drilled out the top of the cowling about 1/4 inch or so, cut an engine in half to expose only the cylinders.  The results would have been exactly the same.  As they say, live and learn.  Another problem was my decals had died after 30 years, (imagine that) so I have to use whatever was still usable.

The only reason I built this kit is to have one each of the Pegasus WW1 releases.  This was about number 11 of the Pegasus releases and is crude by today's standards.  He got a lot better but this was the only offering in 1985.

The model sits with the MAC injection molded kit of about 2002.  Neither offered lozenge decals.

Dennis

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2024, 01:55:53 AM »
Nice one Dennis.
Not the easiest of kits to build, but I do have a soft spot for them.  :) Comparing the Pegasus offering to the more recent MAC one I have I still prefer the older kit (But then I am known to be a bit strange)  ;)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2024, 04:58:42 PM »
Applause for your finished Roland!
At the time there was no better, not even in resin.

Regards Joachim

Offline NigelR

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2024, 06:11:05 PM »
Very good result from a challenging kit. Worth the effort for the Pegasus project......

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2024, 11:05:49 PM »
Beautiful Results Dennis!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline macsporran

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2024, 12:08:58 AM »
Well done - dramatic colours!
Sandy