Author Topic: Roland C.II - A scratchbuild in 1/144 scale  (Read 3349 times)

Offline MR Bentley

• My Instagram feed
Re: Roland C.II - A scratchbuild in 1/144 scale
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2024, 08:14:34 PM »
The wings

The outline of the wing was glued to a 1.5mm piece of acrylic. Then, it was cut out from the acrylic and the corners were rounded out. Lastly, the outline was chiseled off

The curve of the underside of the wing was then made by scraping the underside with a curved blade. Thankfully, the bade I had was just about the same curve as the underside of the airfoil. I drew on the wing with a sharpie to better see where I was scraping.

The topside of the wing was then filed to shape. Note the washout at the ends of the wing. This process was repeated on the top wing, with the aileron sections being scribed in.

the airfoil guides I made to check the profile of the top and bottom curves of the airfoil. I carved an 'I' and an 'O' to the inner and outer airfoil profiles.

A quick shot of the Roland with the tail feathers and lower wing installed

Offline DaveB

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2024, 03:09:58 AM »
Brilliant work in this scale!

Great progress

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline NigelR

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2024, 06:23:53 PM »
Now that looks like hard work.... Scraping the airfoil shape with a curved blade! No way could I do that and get a consistent shape across the wing. More incredible work.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2024, 11:10:00 PM »
Great work! I especially like the washout to the wingtips.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2024, 01:06:48 AM »
Simply Amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline MR Bentley

• My Instagram feed
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2024, 09:22:23 PM »
Simply Amazing!
RAGIII
Brilliant work in this scale!

Great progress

Regards

Dave
Great work! I especially like the washout to the wingtips.

Cheers guys!

Now that looks like hard work.... Scraping the airfoil shape with a curved blade! No way could I do that and get a consistent shape across the wing. More incredible work.

It took a looong time, a lot of scraping and a little sanding and it isn't 100% perfect.

Offline MR Bentley

• My Instagram feed
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2024, 09:46:47 PM »
And now on to some paint prep

In general, I plan on making some of the raised details (panels, ribs, etc.) using a thick (for the scale) layer of white paint. This way I can create the raised detail and a white highlight layer at the same time, eliminating the need for masking and painting on the highlights later on

Before the paint prep itself, I had to file the upper slot to shape and dry-fit the upper wing.

To make the front cowling, I glued a pair of hobby blades together using some styrene shims to give the correct spacing. I used this tool to scribe the panel line, then mask the front cowling. The panel was then painted white. I'll be repeating this trick to make some other panels around the airplane.

Before that, I wanted to get the worst part out of the way. This being the long, long process of masking and painting the wing ribs. The wing guide jigs I made came in very handy for this

After an hour and a half, the upper side of the port wing was finished. A little sanding is required to sharpen the edges.

One surface down, eleven to go.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2024, 03:06:15 AM »
This is truly amazing modelling. I take my hat off to you 1/144 (Braille Scale) modellers.

Stephen.

Online Thumbs up

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2024, 03:37:07 AM »
We are blessed by yourself and William Adair showing us another dimension at least to myself of small scale genius!

Offline NigelR

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2024, 05:42:33 PM »
Wow, more fabulous work. I hate masking in 1/32, I can only imagine how much I would hate it if I had to do it in 1/144!

Offline William Adair

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2024, 06:57:50 PM »
Fantastic progress, congratulations!  The extra ribs are a pain but my goodness they look good  ;D

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2024, 11:22:57 PM »
Considering how good you are at making aircraft with clear plastic I would love to see you build the Link Hoffman R.I with it's transparent skin.
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2024, 06:55:52 PM »
Great, just great!!!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline WD

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2024, 05:12:13 AM »
Wow, just wow!

Warren

Offline MR Bentley

• My Instagram feed
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2024, 10:02:23 PM »
This is truly amazing modelling. I take my hat off to you 1/144 (Braille Scale) modellers.

Stephen.
Wow, just wow!

Warren
Great, just great!!!
We are blessed by yourself and William Adair showing us another dimension at least to myself of small scale genius!

Thank you for the kind comments, guys!

Considering how good you are at making aircraft with clear plastic I would love to see you build the Link Hoffman R.I with it's transparent skin.
Alan

That machine is a behemoth! Dunno if I'll do something like that one day, but Im thinking about how I can use that transparency to my advantage with regards to rib/markings shadows.

Wow, more fabulous work. I hate masking in 1/32, I can only imagine how much I would hate it if I had to do it in 1/144!
Fantastic progress, congratulations!  The extra ribs are a pain but my goodness they look good  ;D

Yes, those ribs are a pain, but the results speak for themselves.