Author Topic: CSM Minerva Armored Car + Base 1/35  (Read 2834 times)

Online AngryJazz

Re: CSM Minerva Armored Car + Base 1/35
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2024, 04:24:15 PM »
Finally the base is dry and could be sanded. Still not entirely happy with the finish, but also want to move on. Lessons learned for next time.  :)

Minerva is done and all bits and pieces are attached. Figure is placed to get an idea of the direction of the scene. Think it will work nicely!

Base got 2 rounds of diluted pva glue on the sides to make it ready for primer and color.

//Ben

Offline NigelR

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2024, 06:16:18 PM »
That is looking really good, a very nice little scene.

I have taken to cladding the edges of my foam-based vignettes with thin veneer attached with double-sided tape (the same as Night Shift does on his channel). This gives a much neater finish and is surprisingly easy to do.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2024, 10:23:32 PM »
The car and figure look outstanding! I am sure they will look even better once the base is underway and then completed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2024, 11:39:14 PM »
Beautiful, just beautifil...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2024, 04:49:17 AM »
Thank you very much Nigel, RAGIII and PrzemoL  :)

I have some veneer, so maybe ill give it a shot! Thanks!
//Ben

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2024, 03:39:20 PM »
What a beauty! Your figure painting is an inspiration.
Zac in NZ

Offline Edgar

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2024, 08:24:36 PM »
Really like this dio
Currently we are doing some PE sets (roof) and other resin 3d printed items
Also I was thinking to add some new figures in early type uniform, should be 2 Belgians (or 3) during a hot battle, using their MG and one young german officer is sneaking from the front of the car.

A short story ( not a real one)

"In the thick of a scorching August afternoon, the battlefield was ablaze with chaos and fury. Smoke and dust filled the air, mingling with the sharp tang of gunpowder. Amidst this bedlam, a Minerva armoured car, one of Belgium’s finest, stood resolute, its steel plating reflecting the relentless sun. Inside, three soldiers of the Belgian Army manned their posts with unwavering determination. They were Sergeant Louis Dupont, Corporal Henri Leclerc, and Private Emil De Wilde.

Their mission was clear: hold their position and delay the German advance until reinforcements arrived. Positioned behind their armoured car, they fired relentlessly towards the rear, where the bulk of the enemy forces advanced. Their machine gun roared, spitting hot lead into the approaching waves of German soldiers.

"Henri, keep the ammo coming! Emil, watch our flanks!" Louis barked, his voice barely audible over the cacophony of battle.

Henri fed the clip of ammunition into the machine gun, his hands steady despite the turmoil. Emil scanned their surroundings, his rifle ready, but the intensity of the rear assault demanded their full attention, leaving the front of the car dangerously exposed.

Unbeknownst to them, a young German officer, Lieutenant Karl Müller, had crawled his way through the tall grass, using the Minerva as cover. His heart pounded in his chest, each beat a drumroll of anticipation. He had spotted a gap in the Belgians' defense and knew this was his chance to strike a decisive blow.

Karl crept closer, his pistol drawn, eyes fixed on the Belgian crew who remained focused on the rear. He could hear their voices, their commands, their determination. They had no idea he was there.

Just as Karl prepared to spring his attack, Emil caught a flicker of movement from the corner of his eye. "Louis, someone's coming from the front!" he yelled, spinning around.

But Karl was already in motion. He lunged from his hiding spot, firing his pistol. The shots rang out, and Henri crumpled, a bullet striking his shoulder. Emil and Louis reacted instantly, swiveling the machine gun around, but Karl was too close. Emil threw himself at Karl, knocking the pistol from his hand. The two young men grappled fiercely, each fighting for their lives.

Louis, torn between helping Emil and continuing to fend off the Germans at their rear, made a split-second decision. "Emil, hold him off! I’ve got the rear!" he shouted, resuming his position behind the machine gun.

Emil and Karl rolled in the dust, punches and shouts filling the air. Emil managed to pin Karl to the ground, wrenching his arm behind his back. "I’ve got him, Louis!" he called out, his voice strained.

With Emil keeping Karl subdued, Louis turned his full attention to the German forces. His machine gun roared back to life, cutting down the advancing soldiers with grim precision. Henri, despite his wound, crawled over to help, feeding ammunition to Louis with one good arm.

Reinforcements finally arrived, their arrival heralded by the thunderous roar of artillery and the rallying cry of fresh troops. The Belgian forces surged forward, pushing back the Germans who began to retreat under the renewed assault.

The battlefield fell silent as the last of the Germans fled. Karl Müller, now a prisoner, looked at the Belgian soldiers with a mixture of respect and defeat. They had fought valiantly, their courage and determination undeniable.

Louis, Emil, and Henri stood together, battered but unbroken, as they watched the enemy retreat. They had held their ground against overwhelming odds, their bravery and tenacity turning the tide of battle. In the midst of chaos, they had found their heroism, their names forever etched in the annals of history."

« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 10:52:31 PM by Edgar »

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2024, 05:28:28 AM »
Thank you Zac and thank you very much Edgar - it means a lot  :)

The story really captured a action filled moment for the Belgians and the Minerva. I really enjoyed it, thank you! It would make for a interesting diorama  ;D
CSM makes some great kits and accesories, i'm definitely saving up for a few more things for future projects  ;)

As for the base I'm working on the colors. It really is a trust the process.... I hope! I wanted to separate the elements a bit using different color tones.
After painting the brick I will add some variation using a sponge, drybrush and finally some ink / oils. It should pull the colors together  ;D
Or so I hope - this is something entirely new for me.

Lastly some sand and dust to fill up the gaps in the stones / brick.

//Ben

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2024, 09:22:55 AM »
The Paint work, colors, on the Road and sidewalk is Stunning! Very well done!
RAGIII

Offline NigelR

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2024, 08:08:36 PM »
Good start on the base, Nightshift has some great examples of how to do this kind of base on his channel if you haven't seen them.

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2024, 03:44:08 AM »
Thanks RAGIII and Nigel  :)

I'm trying to follow the builds from NightShift, but as always he makes it look so simple!

I had some time to paint the bricks and the grass / ground. The bricks are not as well defined / sculpted as the pavement, so painting them was a bit of a headache. The colors are still too bright after a ink wash, so need to fill the gaps with sand before a dust wash.

The pavement got some diluted black ink and I filled the gaps with sand and VMS ballast freeze. Dust and some varnish and it's getting closer  :)

//Ben

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2024, 04:16:52 AM »
The painting continues to look great as more layers are added! Love the grass also!
RAGIII

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2024, 04:27:09 AM »
Sorry to chime in late here - just saw this and have to say you've done a stellar job on the whole project so far. Absolutely brilliant work.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline NigelR

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2024, 04:47:11 AM »
Excellent work, this is looking really good and coming together nicely.

I'm trying to follow the builds from NightShift, but as always he makes it look so simple!
He does indeed, but he has lots of good ideas. I see you are using black ink........

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2024, 08:32:21 PM »
Thank you all for the nice comments  :)

And yes the ink is a great tool! I just got it, but its interesting to use as a way of texturing / staining / shading. Also like how fast it dries  ;D

I finally completed the base! Tried to add a few more details and push myself a bit.
The groundwork gave me some trouble. I had the perfect color etc using real dirt... But the fixer completely dissolved the look. Built it back up with oils, pigment and more texture.

Hopefully I can setup and take the final pictures tonight or tomorrow  ;)

//Ben