Author Topic: Meng Fokker Dr1 1/24th scale: Jasta 11: Kellerkind 1/24th Pilot  (Read 5353 times)

Offline AngryJazz

Re: Fokker Dr1 1/24th scale: Jasta 11
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2024, 05:04:18 PM »
Very nice progress! I really like the streaking - looked very spot on. Annoying when things down work out, but im sure it will be even better 2nd time  ;)
//Ben

Offline NigelR

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2024, 06:34:37 PM »
Sometimes the Modeling Gods Make your Decision For You! I sealed the streaks after the oils dried ! I began to mask the fuselage for the Personal and national markings. During a re-alignment the tape lifted a large chunk of streaking and CDL from the fuselage. So Nothing to do but strip and do it again
The Modelling Gods clearly decided you enjoyed the streaking process so much that it was only fair for you to have another go.......

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2024, 08:30:35 AM »
I'm so sorry to read that Rick, I also liked the streaking as it was. Good luck with round two!

I'm not sure if anyone else has said so but bravo on the engine, it looks fantastic!

I'm fairly sure one of Sir Peter Jackson's seven(!) flying replica Dr.Is wears this scheme but I don't appear to have taken any photos of it. A fine choice for your build!

Hey Zac, The modeling Gods are seldom in the wrong! I Like the re-Do much better. As for the Engine it was built and painted by someone else. I liked their work so haven't changed it...yet!
RAGIII

Very nice progress! I really like the streaking - looked very spot on. Annoying when things down work out, but im sure it will be even better 2nd time  ;)

Thanks , and yes, I think it is better!
RAGIII

Sometimes the Modeling Gods Make your Decision For You! I sealed the streaks after the oils dried ! I began to mask the fuselage for the Personal and national markings. During a re-alignment the tape lifted a large chunk of streaking and CDL from the fuselage. So Nothing to do but strip and do it again
The Modelling Gods clearly decided you enjoyed the streaking process so much that it was only fair for you to have another go.......

;D  YEP!

RAGIII

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 08:40:22 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NigelR

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2024, 06:57:56 PM »
That looks really good, especially on the fuselage. You really nailed the effect of the streaking process.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2024, 09:11:49 PM »
Round two def goes to you! Take that modeling gods!

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2024, 12:22:57 AM »
That looks really good, especially on the fuselage. You really nailed the effect of the streaking process.

Thanks Nigel! Your support is appreciated. It should look even better when the other paint work starts to appear....or so I hope  ::)

RAGIII

Round two def goes to you! Take that modeling gods!

Steve

Thanks Steve. We will know for sure in a few days when I start masking again!
RAGIII

Offline Davos522

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2024, 06:14:12 AM »
Oh my this a gorgeous project, Rick. A gorgeous large project. You going to build a hangar on the back of the house...?

Dutch

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2024, 07:18:39 AM »
I really like how that streaking has worked out Rick with those oils; sometimes old tricks are the best tricks :) What were the colours you used for the oils?

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2024, 08:45:21 AM »
Oh my this a gorgeous project, Rick. A gorgeous large project. You going to build a hangar on the back of the house...?

Dutch

Thanks Dutch! Yes, this is a Large Model even for Me  ;D I may Need to hire someone to build a display case/Hanger just for this one  :o
RAGIII

I really like how that streaking has worked out Rick with those oils; sometimes old tricks are the best tricks :) What were the colours you used for the oils?

Cheers,

BC

Thanks Brad. The first attempt was My usual 50/50 mix of Ivory black and Cadmium Yellow deep with a VERY small drop of red added. I cheated on the  second attempt and used an Olive green oil with again, just a VERY small drop of red. As the damp brush is used to remove unwanted pigment it streaks and varies the color with the base Tamiya buff showing through the translucent olive. So actually just one color of oils is used  ::)
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2024, 06:50:45 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone else has said so but bravo on the engine, it looks fantastic!
As for the Engine it was built and painted by someone else. I liked their work so haven't changed it...yet!
RAGIII
You chose wisely for your engine builder: it's gorgeous!! Please pass on my compliments.
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2024, 12:13:59 PM »
I have made a lot of progress in the last two days. The oils dried so a clear coat was applied to seal them in. The green backgrounds for the crosses were masked and sprayed, then the lower surface blue was applied. Having No reason not to, I assembled the wings to the fuselage. This is a great fit and the strut fit is so tight one almost doesn't need glue! Upper wing cross decals have been applied. Next is Masking and painting the personal markings.

RAGIII

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2024, 04:00:35 PM »
Wow looks great! Lovely work  ;D
//Ben

Offline NigelR

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2024, 06:28:13 PM »
That's looking really good. The streaking looks so effective now there is more of the other markings and colours in place.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2024, 01:01:17 AM »
Wow looks great! Lovely work  ;D

Thanks Ben!
RAGIII

That's looking really good. The streaking looks so effective now there is more of the other markings and colours in place.

Thanks Nigel! I am hopeful that the whole thing will pull together once the rest of the markings are applied!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2024, 04:06:59 AM »
Sorry Rick but I had to spend time away and in that period you have stolen a huge march on me!

Real shame about the streaking, but round two is even bettter IMHO so perhaps the modelling Gods knew that you could do better! The engine looks very realistic and the open panel is a very good idea. With the top wing on you are well on the way to completion - and another mini-masterpiece to add to your collection.

Stephen.