Author Topic: images linked to Google Drive  (Read 415 times)

Offline Unyielding Modeller

images linked to Google Drive
« on: March 15, 2024, 05:04:42 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forum and have been enjoying reading many different topics. However, I've encountered a bit of trouble. Specifically, I cannot see the majority of images in some threads, such as https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11824.0. From what others have written in different pages, it appears that people are reacting to images that I cannot view.

Upon investigation, it seems to be related to images linked to Google Drive. I've tried accessing these threads from different (Apple) computers and various locations, but the issue persists.

I've noticed this issue has been mentioned in the past, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Davos522

Re: images linked to Google Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 07:14:32 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum. The problem you’re having isn’t uncommon, there are a lot of threads where the photos no longer exist. It can be due to people changing their photo hosting service, letting their account lapse, or sometimes, sadly, passing away, and their online storage accounts simply being taken down—which unfortunately seems to have been the case with a lot of the photos in forum founder Des Delatorre’s build threads.

It’s hard to say, but specifically in this case it might be because Google Drive changed a lot of the URLs to content they were hosting in September of 2021 for “security reasons”. It’s frustrating, but because so many photos are linked from third-party servers there’s really no way to fix it, unless the authors were to go back through each post and re-link the pictures.

All best,

Dutch

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 05:27:37 PM »
Thank you for your reply Dutch.

But this is not about deleted/missing photos in the referenced URL. There is a complicated way to view the images. So they (still) exist :). When I have more time, I’ll look into it a bit deeper and get back to you with my findings.

Cheers!

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 09:40:44 PM »
Hello,

As mentioned earlier, this issue does not concern deleted or missing photos from the referenced URL. It specifically pertains to files hosted on Google Drive. Tests were conducted across Windows, Apple, and Linux operating systems without the use of virtualization. Various browsers, including Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Edge, and Safari, were used, and all exhibited the same reported issue. Additionally, I copied and pasted the related topics pages into Google Docs and Microsoft Word, where the images appeared without any issues. This confirms that the images do exist. Considering these findings, creating a ticket with the host or the forum developer might be a step to consider.

Cheers