Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Sopwith F.1/3 Comic  (Read 966 times)

Offline ScottJ

Re: Roden 1/72 Sopwith F.1/3 Comic
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 01:35:14 PM »
Thank You for the positive comments on the Comic, built and painted OOB I'm afraid the research I did on this one was a joke (Har!... see what I did there...).
This is one of my older builds and when I look at it I envision what I would have done differently... but, that's pretty much the same with every kit I've built.

Mark, you're asking a monumental task of my poor beer soaked brain to go that far back in time.  But, if I remember right (this could get comical... damn! I did it again!!!) I think I used a piece of stretched sprue for the "acorn".  Before I cut it down to size I tried to sand the end so it was rounded.  I think I then scraped it with an Xacto blade to try to get the taper in it.  There's probably about 10 of them in various stages of completion in the carpet under my desk.  As to mounting, I would have measured between the two front cabane struts with a caliper and used that distance to put together the lower part of the rigging, assembled off of the model.  I then attached the acorn to those lower pieces and glued it all to the fuselage between the front cabane struts (using the angle of the struts in profile to set the angle of the inverted V).  When that was dry I attached the upper two pieces of rigging (I was using stretched sprue) and as far as the lengths, I got lucky (I think?).

Mike, I checked out your conversion... it turned out great!  There's a fair amount of difference between the front of the Camel and Comic's fuselage and it looks like you nailed it. I would be convinced that there was a conversion kit that you used.   Pretty cool to have that make in that scale in your collection, truly a conversation piece.  Also, the diorama setting you put together looks excellent.   

Again, thanks for looking and for your comments.
Take care
Scott...
You can't grub with the sparrows when you've flown with the hawks... 
E.P. Janney?

Offline Softscience

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 05:38:49 AM »
Absolutely lovely. My attempt at Roden's 1/72 kits don't turn out anywhere close to this nice. Often some wayward strut leads to a gluey mess, wing collapse and a quick flight to the bin.

I would love to build along with you step by step and pick up your skills.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 05:19:34 AM »
Very nicely done Scott. Your build inspires me to get mine out and contemplate it. 

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 06:22:05 AM »
Thanks Dutch, I'll look forward to seeing that!  ;D
Myself I'm not a top modeller, but I've always thought, rendering the acorn on a small scale Camel gives one minor hero status!

Mark

I will respectfully Disagree with the portion of this Statement saying you are "Not a Top Modeler" and Yes doing the Acorn in 1/72nd scale is at Least Near Hero work  8) Lovely Little Comic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler