Author Topic: Roden 1/72 OEFFAG s.253 (Albatros D.III)  (Read 851 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Roden 1/72 OEFFAG s.253 (Albatros D.III)
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 05:09:27 AM »
Really nice! I can only repeat all the praises already written here!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2024, 02:21:32 AM »
A really nice job!  I had the same problem with the cabane struts.  I usually have to adjust them just a little.

Offline ScottJ

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2024, 12:51:32 PM »
I want to thank everyone for your kind words about the Albatros... however I'm afraid it may be a bit of a poser.  The pictures probably do it more justice than it deserves.  I was just starting to experiment with oils to create wood grain... I didn't know any better and sprayed the fuselage with Tamiya lacquers (Deck Tan and a few panels in Desert Sand) before streaking the oils on.  I just jumped in with both feet without doing any research, I would have learned that I should be using an acrylic base under the oils.  The graining turned out looking rather good until I applied the PFG (with a brush as it usually levels so well) and everything turned into mud.  I have to say that that made my bottom lip stick out... what I won't say is what came out of my mouth that that lip was attached to.  Hard lessons learned but now I have first-hand experience.
As far as the CDL wings, I'm going to say something here that you all already know... shortcuts rarely if ever pay off.  I had cut my mask for the crosses in the hope that I could make the upper wing look semi opaque (or should that be translucent?).  I do my spraying out in my garage which is not climate controlled and as it was winter and very cold I got the bright idea that I would try colored pencils instead of paint to represent the crosses (and ribs) on the upper surface.  The results were not convincing being much too mottled looking.  That's why I avoided pictures that would show very much of the upper wings underside.
On the plus side, I'm pleased that so many of you sided with me that the upper wing looked a bit too high in a stock configuration.  I guess the template I made will be a keeper and I can use it on future Roden D.III builds (maybe not necessary with the new Eduard D.III about to make an appearance?). 
Also the turned metal panels came out better than I expected.  Without making this post any longer than it already is, those panels were headed the way of the fuselage and wings... but with a lot of luck and what I would call a "happy accident" I was able to salvage them.
Paul... If I would have built this model in the last few years I would have pinned the wings... as it is I think I just butt-joined them.
Thanks to everyone for your responses, I do appreciate them.
Take care
Scott...
You can't grub with the sparrows when you've flown with the hawks... 
E.P. Janney?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 06:30:50 AM »
Excellent correction to the wing gap and a Beautiful Little Albatros!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler