Author Topic: Another 1/72 Albatros  (Read 1345 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: Another 1/72 Albatros
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 07:54:31 PM »
Lovely, work on your Albatros DV -

It's not a bad kit from Eduard but the cockpit is lacking in detail and does not include the engine radiator pipes for some reason.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 10:42:23 PM »
Lovely, work on your Albatros DV -

It's not a bad kit from Eduard but the cockpit is lacking in detail and does not include the engine radiator pipes for some reason.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave

You're right about the kit. Needed a bit of extra love in the cockpit and I'm not sure why the pipes are missing since they are so prominent a feature. I ended up using the Roden undercarriage legs as well since they seemed to have more delicacy
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 01:49:24 AM »
Nice Albatros, looking very good!
Joachim

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2024, 04:39:19 AM »
A nice one, indeed. Was there something wrong with the kit struts, that made you replace them?

I have a double combo set, too, waiting for the space at the workbench.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline ScottJ

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 08:15:57 AM »
Excellent looking D.V.... what can I say that others already have?... So I'm going to act like no one has said anything and I'm the first to comment.
First the color scheme, I'm glad you built it this way rather than after the pilots upgrades... like seeing the tail in camo.  And the colors look great.  I just purchased the AK WWI acrylic set and I'm hoping the green and mauve look as good together as the combination you've used.  But what really stands out for me is the natural wood fuselage, you really got that nailed (and I'm also a sucker for the D.V's w/headrest).  The grain is visible but subtle... and the colors look just right.  I guess the best way to put it is if this was my build I'd want the wood to turn out just as yours has.  Additional details you've also added do enhance the final product.
I'd also be interested to know the reason for replacing the outer struts?  Unless they are inaccurate I thought the kits looked pretty good.
Anyway, great looking Albatros.
Take care
Scott...
You can't grub with the sparrows when you've flown with the hawks... 
E.P. Janney?

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 05:54:16 PM »
Really amazing work in a scale that scares me  ;D
//Ben

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 06:55:55 PM »
Nice Albatros, looking very good!
Joachim

Cheers Joachim

A nice one, indeed. Was there something wrong with the kit struts, that made you replace them?

I have a double combo set, too, waiting for the space at the workbench.

Nothing wrong with the kit items Prez (although the Roden ones have more finess)
Where possible I always replace the plastic struts on 1/72 models with filed or shaped brass because I can get a thinner profile which looks better IMO and still be able to handle the model (On my 'Floh' I actually dropped the model onto a wingtip after rigging it and managed to extract the bent struts without disturbing the rigging to straighten them. A lick of paint and they were put back in place and then the whole wing cell pushed back into position which re-tensioned the rigging lines and a drop of glue meant no one is any the wiser, till now) ;)

Excellent looking D.V.... what can I say that others already have?... So I'm going to act like no one has said anything and I'm the first to comment.
First the color scheme, I'm glad you built it this way rather than after the pilots upgrades... like seeing the tail in camo.  And the colors look great.  I just purchased the AK WWI acrylic set and I'm hoping the green and mauve look as good together as the combination you've used.  But what really stands out for me is the natural wood fuselage, you really got that nailed (and I'm also a sucker for the D.V's w/headrest).  The grain is visible but subtle... and the colors look just right.  I guess the best way to put it is if this was my build I'd want the wood to turn out just as yours has.  Additional details you've also added do enhance the final product.
I'd also be interested to know the reason for replacing the outer struts?  Unless they are inaccurate I thought the kits looked pretty good.
Anyway, great looking Albatros.
Take care
Scott...

Hi Scott. Thanks for the comments, glad you like the Albie  ;D
I originally painted the wings in the AK dark green and mauve, but when I cam back to it I felt them came out too dark so I added some off white and dirty linen colour to the mauve till I felt it looked 'right'. For the green I tested a few greens until I got one that seemed to balance it better and ended up using AK 11875 Field Green. Bear in mind though that I weather with oil paints after varnishing so I can tweak the shades and get a fade in some areas (I usually have yellow ochre, white, paynes grey, and the usual burnt and raw Umber set out on a pallet and add dashes here and then then scrub them in the air-stream direction)

On an aside I really like the AK colours which seem to spray nicely using just distilled water to thin and don't settle to the bottom of the container as much as Vallejo do. (less shaking needed)  ;D

Struts in the kit are fine, although would benefit from some sanding - I'm just a bit heavy handed and find that when they are thin enough I just break them which is harder to do with the brass ones   ::)

Really amazing work in a scale that scares me  ;D

Cheers AJ. Nothing to be scared of here :) Easier in some ways than the bigger scales where every last rivet and wrinkle is needed to get the same effect

Paul

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2024, 02:20:04 AM »
Beautiful job Paul. I really am drawn to the colors and the subtle woodgrain, you aced them both! Definitely a standout in the smaller scale "Albies" I've seen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2024, 06:45:52 AM »
What a superb model: I could easily believe that it is a much larger scale. The markings really stand out well - a plain fuselage does have its advantages.

Stephen.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2024, 07:25:14 AM »
Beautiful job Paul. I really am drawn to the colors and the subtle woodgrain, you aced them both! Definitely a standout in the smaller scale "Albies" I've seen.

Many thanks Icarroll. Really appreciate your comments

What a superb model: I could easily believe that it is a much larger scale. The markings really stand out well - a plain fuselage does have its advantages.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen
I'll be honest when I started I wanted to have a go at a wooden fuselage, but as the project progressed I kept seeing more colourful versions and wondering. Now it's done I'm pretty happy with some aspects and would have a go at another (possibly a float version ?) Next up, however is a new scratchbult model which I've just started - I'll maybe post a few pictures once I've made some headway into the build . . . .

Paul

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2024, 04:06:58 PM »
I know I've said this before, but your build is providing me with inspiration to keep up building WWI.  I claim to rotate between ships, cars and WWI a/c, but I have been sticking with this topic, since I see builds like your "just another Albatros".

Thanks!
Rick in Seattle

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2024, 04:54:01 PM »
I know I've said this before, but your build is providing me with inspiration to keep up building WWI.  I claim to rotate between ships, cars and WWI a/c, but I have been sticking with this topic, since I see builds like your "just another Albatros".

Thanks!
Rick in Seattle

Great to hear that I might, in some small way, be inspiring Rick since one of the things that started me down this modelling path was seeing some of the builds on here which completely captivated me  :)

Thank you
Paul

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2024, 06:34:55 AM »
I have been catching up with Page 1 of the completed models today. I have seen a Plethora of Gorgeous 1/72nd Albatri and yours is No Exception! Lovely Work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2024, 04:57:46 PM »
 ;D Many thanks RAGIII

Offline NigelR

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2024, 07:07:11 PM »
I saw this one in the flesh at the weekend at a model show in the UK, and it looks fabulous up close.