WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Vacform Kits

Lohner C1

(1/9) > >>

djuggie:
February 21, 2024

Another Austro-Hungarian vacuform off the shelf and on to the table.  The C1 went into service in 1915 but were withdrawn due to a weak wing design.  This was corrected with subsequent aircraft.  The swept back wing configuration of the wings gave this entire family of Lohner biplanes the name "Pfeifiegern" or Arrow Flyers.  The arrow shape was very apparent when viewed from above by other aircraft.

This kit was molded by Joe Chubbeck, a master mold maker.  His Formaplane name was taken over by MHW and they went on to produce some kits.  This is one of their early offerings.

I will be building the early unarmed version although I have a photo of a very basic machine gun mounting of this plane.  I may add a machine gun to the build.  Another difference will be the wheels were open spokes but I have none in my parts box.  So they will be solid.

I will not be showing all of the sanding details.  I will leave that to Ian's excellent build of the Fe-8 with a step by step and well photographed build.  I want to build like him when I grow up.

One thing I did do was to outline all of the parts with a black marking pen and I am very pleased with the results.  Makes over-sanding less of a problem.

Since the model is going to be a early version, I cut off the engine cowling and will mount the engine exposed.  At this point all cockpit work is completed and an engine from my scrape pile was slightly modified to look like a Hiero engine.

The fuselage will be next.

Dennis

Davos522:
Really looking forward to this one, Dennis, I recently gave Eric Hight’s 1:48 CSM version to No 1 Son since I’m only doing 1:32 from here on out. But it was a lovely kit, and you have to love those markings.

Dutch

xan:
what a buetiful plane aand lovely marking

NigelR:
Another interesting subject in colourful A-H markings. Nice start!

Thumbs up:
It's great to see the old vacs coming back to life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version