WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Completed models

Luke's Spad XIII

(1/4) > >>

Big Sky Modeler:
This is the 1/48 DML kit.  Nice kit, especially for it's age.

NigelR:
Very nice work, you handled the camo scheme very well and the end result looks great.

PrzemoL:
Very very nice. How did you do the double wrapped rigging? It looks so real.

Big Sky Modeler:

--- Quote ---How did you do the double wrapped rigging? It looks so real.
--- End quote ---

It was a pain.  That's how I handled it.   :)

I used .010" music wire colored with sharpie marker.  The stiffeners are plastic strips 0.10" thick and painted brown.  I glued the wires to the sides of the plastic (that was the pain part) and added the wraps.  The wraps are strips of metal cupcake foil painted tan and glued in place.  Cupcake foil is great for making certain parts because it can be bent (in this case wrapped around) easily and it retains that shape.  They are a bit over scale, but I didn't want to attempt lighter wire and thinner plastic.  Maybe next time. 

PrzemoL:

--- Quote from: Big Sky Modeler on February 10, 2024, 06:20:10 AM ---
--- Quote ---How did you do the double wrapped rigging? It looks so real.
--- End quote ---

It was a pain.  That's how I handled it.   :)

I used .010" music wire colored with sharpie marker.  The stiffeners are plastic strips 0.10" thick and painted brown.  I glued the wires to the sides of the plastic (that was the pain part) and added the wraps.  The wraps are strips of metal cupcake foil painted tan and glued in place.  Cupcake foil is great for making certain parts because it can be bent (in this case wrapped around) easily and it retains that shape.  They are a bit over scale, but I didn't want to attempt lighter wire and thinner plastic.  Maybe next time.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the explanation. Great job!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version