WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Vacform Kits

Phonix A

(1/7) > >>

djuggie:
January 24, 2024

I need to put aside 1/32nd for a while so I returned to my roots.  1/72nd scale is my scale of choice and I can still see it.  Trying to keep my collection fairly even, I chose the Joystick Phonix A.  I have a thing for seaplanes so this fits the bill.

There is very little information about this plane with the exception of 5 pages in Windsock Issue vol 23, number 23, 2007.

The kit starts with the usual sanding and it took about two hours.  The wings did not match the Windsock drawings and they were lengthened at the wing tips.  The lower wing was completely redone using Rosepart wings blanks.  The ribs are stretched spruce and sanded almost completely flat, leaving only a trace for the ribs.  The rudder was cut and reshaped and the horizontal stabilizer was completed redone with plastic sheet.  Stretched spruce was used on both of these parts.  The engine is from Areoclub.  The kit provides the machine guns and prop but these will probably be replaced.  The fuselage was cut out and departing from most of my vacuforms, I added flat sheet as locating pins.  The dry fit is not that good and these will help with alignment.

Here is where I could use some advise.  The two photos and Bob Pearson's drawing shows the plane is a very light grey.  It could also be a very light unbleached linen.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

Davos522:
Love it, Dennis! Another obscure type swelling the ranks of the UFC (Ugulano Flying Corps)!

I'll definitely be following this one.

Dutch

NigelR:
More Roseplane action. The forum is becoming a nostalgia fest!

Great start, you make these vacs look easy. But not easy enough that I would actually build one!

PrzemoL:
This will certainly be a thread to follow.

KiwiZac:
Fantastic! I have a classicvac coming home with me and this may be the nudge I need to get started on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version