WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Under Construction

Projekt Eindecker: WnW Fok. E.I (Early)

(1/13) > >>

Davos522:
Hi all, through an odd set of circumstances I was inspired to put my Amodel Nieuport 16 build aside at the end of November, and embark on a long-term project involving all the Wingnut Wings Eindeckers, from the E.I to the E.IV. Hopefully, more on this later.

For now, at least, I'm currently well into the cockpit of the E.I (Early). I'm honestly a little hesitant to post my efforts on the heels of recent Eindecker builds by Przemol, Gary, Tim Mixon, and Mike N, but it's been a while since I've posted any of my own work and I thought I'd put up a couple of pictures of my progress. Period cockpit details being fairly scarce, I'm making extensive use of Jamo's wonderful photo collection of the Achim Engel/TVAL repro currently based at Hood Aerodrome in New Zealand (Zac's stomping grounds!). While that one's an E.III, it provides a pretty good starting point for the earlier version.

I replicated the mixed copper/brass construction of the fuel tank just for fun/practice (knowing it would be completely hidden), complete with lines of blobby solder marks; likewise some totally unnecessary sworl effects on the areas behind the rear cockpit bulkhead to test out different combinations of methods:

[/url]

This weekend I decided to cut off the molded-in mixture control quadrant/"block tube":

... since it seemed too far forward (the pilot would have had to have had arms like a gorilla to reach it comfortably), and scratchbuild a replacement out of a slice of Evergreen tube, strip, copper wire, and stretched bits of sprue:

It actually came out much better than I'd hoped, once it all got painted and temporarily mounted on the cockpit framing:

Much left to do, grip on the control column, rigging & control cables, instruments, seatbelts, plumbing, and on and on. But I'm pretty happy with it so far, and, (best yet!) it's been tremendous fun.

Thanks for looking, and all best,

Dutch

Whiteknuckles:
Nice work Dutch, the fuel tank looks great!!

Andrew

Edo:
Great start indeed!
what did you use for the fuel tank? pencils?
the effect is very convincing....

ciao
edo

AngryJazz:
Very nice work on the Eindecker Dutch  ;D
The colors and added details really look great!

NigelR:
Well this is looking really good so far. Excellent "detailing for god". Which, due to my advancing years and therefore lack of remaining time to build the stash, I have decided not to do anymore...... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version