WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Hints and Tips/Questions about modeling

Large-Scale Display Options?

(1/2) > >>

Davos522:
Hi All. While contemplating my E.I project it suddenly occurred to me that I don't have Clue One as to what I’m going to do with it when it's completed. I can't just park it on a table or shelf, since a) every flat space in the house is already covered with books or art supplies or other highly-important impedimenta, and b) this guy:

... who really hasn't displayed much interest in my new work area, despite that picture (he was trying to figure out how to get up to the top shelf, where the WnW stash lives). But you never know.

I'm curious as to your solutions for display/storage... really big cabinets? Open/closed shelving? One of my favorite setups I've seen so far is Mike N's canted shelves for his acrylic cases, and as a former cabinetmaker that's eminently do-able. But that may be a bit too ambitious at this point.

Dutch

Tim Mixon:
Very interesting thread Dutch. I myself need to construct a display case for my collection so will appreciate any input the list has.

NigelR:
I have a free standing display cabinet like this (but without LEDs, which made it much cheaper): https://www.displaysense.co.uk/products/black-glass-display-cabinet-800mm-dts800cbk

PJ Fisher:
Maybe you could mount them in shadow boxes on the wall?

macsporran:
Back when I was making 1/48 WWI models in the 90s I bought some 'Billy' units from Ikea (see pic) which fitted that scale perfectly, accommodating things like the Aurora Gotha easily. Also the cars and various other things I digressed into. However now I'm making 1/32 WWI models the Billy units are too narrow for larger two-seaters or the big WNW twin-engine jobs.
The Sopwith Strutter fits fine, but a Ninak would be a problem. This has rather dictated my choice of what to build next.

Ikea used to do a larger glass unit (whose daft name I've forgotten) but seem to have discontinued it now. I always intended to buy one, with some extra shelves but now kick myself that I didn't. Currently they do a 'Blaliden' glass unit but it's shelves are about 30x30cm internally so may need some careful measuring! (Don't seem to do extra shelves now, although a glazier could likely make some.)
HTH
Sandy 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version