Author Topic: 1/72 Short S 38 on HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia 1912  (Read 6487 times)

Online Davos522

Re: 1/72 Short S 38 on HMS Africa and HMS Hibernia 1912
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2024, 12:33:21 AM »
Wonderful progress, this is clearly going to be a huge success when it's done.

Dutch

Offline DaveB

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2024, 03:06:32 AM »
Fantastic work on your S38, Steve -

I really like the look of this machine.

I assume you are now getting close to the finish line with this current project?

Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM »
Sadly I have been quite unable to find any suitable navy figures to put on the deck and ramp: does anyone know of a possible suitable source of figures which I could adapt and modify? They must be 1/72 or 1/76 scale and not metal if possible. Any guidance would be gratefully received.
Stephen.

Check these out:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/panzer-vs-tanks-3?section=1%2F72+Scale+Figures&s=0

Offline FAf

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2024, 05:53:29 AM »
It looks really amazing! Great work!
/Fredrik

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2024, 06:56:17 AM »
Evening All,

PJF: many thanks for the link to the sailors - I have bought a set and almost finished painting them. They were a bit expensive but the quality is second to none and they fit the bill very nicely indeed.

Many thanks to all for the very kind comments re-the S 37. I can now report that bit behind the pointy end of HMS Hibernia is now finished too. All I have to do to complete the project is to put the S 37 on to the ramp and add some sailors - but that will have to wait. Here is the ship part.

The front of the bridge was covered in canvas shrouds presumably to protect it against the oil and exhaust from the rotary engine. These caused me many headaches as I tried several types of paper: tissue, crepe, kitchen roll, etc. All of them crinkled or tore when I tried to apply paint - none of them worked at all well. In the end I used printing paper and painted that - not the best effect either but the best that I can do for the moment. I may ask for help from members of my modelling club later, but for now I am leaving things alone. I also put on the supports for the deck wires - they were from Cornwall Model Boats and are brass fittings primed and painted. The wires are clear monofilament thread painted with Revell Eisen (91). The gangways were made from strip wood.

I hope to finish this in the next couple of days: more when it is finished.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.