Author Topic: Billy Bishop's colourful 60Sqdn SE5 A8936  (Read 8286 times)

Offline macsporran

Re: Billy Bishop's colourful 60Sqdn SE5 A8936
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2024, 02:57:36 AM »
It was all going so well...

Then I decided to apply the underwing roundels. These were spares from a WNW 'Hisso' which I'd chosen as they matched exactly the shade of blue I have always had in mind for the fancy fuselage paintwork. The other decals from this set had gone onto a WNW SE5a perfectly without any problems so I had no reason to believe anything would go amiss here. Unfortunately age may have had something to do with what happened (which is a bit worrying for the 50 or so WNW kits patiently waiting their turn in the stash!)

Anyway, on with a coat or two of Klear to give the decals a smooth surface to bond with, then slide them off and into place. They settled down nicely and I set aside to dry off. Unfortunately next day, there were large patches of air under both decals and I assumed the adhesive had lost its 'stick' so applied a copious amount of Klear over and under and again set aside.

Later I was concerned to see extreme wrinkling over both decals, but set aside to dry out completely in the hope that it would all settle down. It didn't and I decided next to apply some Microsol - wrinkling got worse. Oh sh*t! OK let it dry completely again and we'll try some Humbrol DecalFix, which I've found in the past usually zaps anything - but not these recalcitrant b*st*rds! Now I'm really panicking and contemplating stripping the whole thing back down, respraying and using masks to spray the roundels on ..... or, throwing the whole thing in the bin!

A day away from the model and... let's try one last option: hair dryer on gradually increasing temperatures. At first nothing, then as I began to worry the decal would shrivel up and melt, hallelujah, it started to settle (under increasing pressure and coaxing from my fingers). Port side OK, Starboard still very slightly creased but this is as good as I am going to get.

Step back for another day or two.
So you can see why no posts recently. You think you've experienced everything with decals, then out of a clear blue sky the modelling gods decide to have a bit of fun at your expense!
I need to give it some time then apply final varnish to make sure it won't all go pear shaped and wrinkle up again at the last stage.  I don't think I'll risk W&N. I think Tamiya acrylics will be safer with their ultra fast drying time. If this is OK then we can proceed with construction and get on with mounting upper wing etc.

So frustrating as I'd spent careful time carving new pointy exhausts etc and I've kinda invested too much to bin it all now.
Anyway, here we are at the moment.
Sandy

Offline NigelR

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2024, 04:13:36 AM »
Phew! After all my issues with WNW decals recently, I have taken to using hot water (not warm) and a hair dryer for all decals now (well except Aviattic which are very well behaved). Glad you saved this, I know how bad I felt when I binned my Dolphin and you have invested more in this build than I had.

Onward and upward!!

Offline Davos522

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2024, 12:39:33 PM »
You had me going there for a minute, Sandy, I thought she was headed for the Shelf O’ Doom. Had to have a touch of bourbon to calm my nerves…

As a late-comer to the WnW party I’ve been a little surprised by the condition of the decals in the kits I’ve managed to scrounge, they don’t seem to have aged well in some of the half-dozen Eindecker kits I’ve picked up, the blacks especially seem to have gotten a peculiar “dusty” look in places. I’ve got Eduard decals from the late ‘90s that are in perfect condition… as well as some Monogram sets that are ten years older than that!

Dutch

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2024, 08:12:43 PM »

".... the 50 or so WNW kits patiently waiting their turn in the stash!...."

:o

I hope you have good locks, and bars on the windows  ;)

Cheers
Willem

Offline macsporran

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2024, 10:21:54 PM »
".... the 50 or so WNW kits patiently waiting their turn in the stash!...."

I hope you have good locks, and bars on the windows  ;)
Cheers
Willem

Cheers guys
Yes, I've put too much into this now to give up. Just waiting on a new jig attachment, to proceed.

Willem, you're right - the 'Wingnut Wall' is visible from outside through the window in the ground-floor modelling room, so I'm thinking of investing in a couple of Dobermanns in here overnight!
Sandy

PS The Roland just arrived. It was the (only) one that I thought I'd not bother with at the time of release as I already had a D.VIa. Of course once it went OOP, I wished I'd bought one and it became a bit of an obsession. Finally got one, but at four or five times what it would have cost back then!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2024, 12:02:05 AM »
I've been following along but for some reason never posted before now(not that that's important) I looked at your pic from the 21st and clearly the decal wrinkled because you took your sneakers (trainers) off. All in all I think you've made a great save and am so glad the project continues.

Steve
PS read Scarrow's Dead of Night yet?

Offline macsporran

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2024, 12:20:56 AM »
Banged to rights, Steve. The trainers are for the treadmill in the corner - and, you're right, the decal problem arose immediately after placing them on the waste paper basket under the modelling desk!
Sandy
The Scarrow book is on order at the local library, just finishing off Rory Clements WW2 series ATM. (not great, but good yarns.) Also just read Martin Amis 'Zone of Interest' (new Holocaust movie), but found it terribly contrived. (I don't think Amis is half the writer his father was.)

Offline NigelR

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2024, 07:33:04 PM »
Willem, you're right - the 'Wingnut Wall' is visible from outside through the window in the ground-floor modelling room, so I'm thinking of investing in a couple of Dobermanns in here overnight!
I don't know how old you are Sandy, but it looks like you might be hoping your grandchildren will have an interest in building WWI aircraft in 1/32........ ;) ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 07:37:17 PM by NigelR »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2024, 03:49:18 PM »
My heart sank when I started reading that update but I'm so relieved for you, Sandy! Goodness, what a rollercoaster.
Zac in NZ

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2024, 10:07:06 PM »
Good save on the decals! Its such a scary moment when that stuff goes wrong!

And an impressive stash! Will keep you going for a little while yet  ;)
//Ben

Offline macsporran

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2024, 09:36:14 PM »
Hey guys, sorry for the resounding silence recently - life getting in the way.

Progress on the SE has been in fits and starts and, of course, more setbacks - the troublesome under-wing roundels did not like the new biplane jig and decided to adhere to it, pulling of sections as I worked with it. Anyway, enough of the drama: the jig helped position top wing perfectly from the interplanes in towards the cabanes.

Rigging has started, using my drill-through-wing procedure with mono fishing line passing right through. This adds so much structural strength to the wing cellule and only requires fairly minimal clean-up afterwards. You'll see the marks to be touched up in the picture, which are then fully hidden after the final weathering stage.

Anyway, wings are on, as is undercarriage and not too much to do now.
I'll try to send more pics and completion soon.
Cheers
Sandy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2024, 11:33:36 PM »
Glad to see you're back at it. Coming along nicely!

Steve

Offline Davos522

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2024, 12:20:51 PM »
She's looking great, and the story of this build, with all its ups and downs, is a tale worthy of Homer. Maybe you should retitle it "Sandy's Odyssey"...

Dutch

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2024, 04:03:22 PM »
Nice you are back! And nice to see the model in the colours.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2024, 06:13:12 PM »
Good to see you back in the saddle on this one. It's so annoying when you get issues like the roundels lifting, but it looks like you are heading towards the finishing line on this one. Looking forward to seeing it done!