WW1 Aircraft Modeling > Hints and Tips/Questions about modeling

Removing Tamiya Acrylics

(1/2) > >>

Davos522:
Hi All, wondering if there's a safe & reliable way to remove Tamiya enamels after they've dried? I thought I'd check before moving up the (increasingly aggressive) list of non-styrene-devouring solvents. Maybe I ought to try the enamel reducer we used at the collision shop I used to work at...?

All best,

Dutch

Nigttr:
Hi Dutch, you could try using Dettol antiseptic disinfectant liquid. Just soak the item for 4-6 hours and scrub off. As far as I can see it works on most paints, I’ve used it successfully on Tamiya gloss acrylics, but I think it works on enamels too. There are several websites showing how this works, this is the first one I just picked on. http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-use-dettol-to-best-clean-up.html

Nigel

WD:
The only time I've done this is with Polly Scale Easy Lift Off. Friends tell me brake fluid works.

Sorry, I'm not much help here.

Warren

Brad Cancian:
Hi Dutch - i've stripped acrylic paint back with methylated spirits. It will take the paint off and leave the plastic alone.

Cheers,

BC

Whiteknuckles:
While I've never done any model paint stripping myself, Dettol or DOT3 Brake fluid (don't use DOT5 as it contains silicon) seem to be what a lot of people use and recommend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version